Bonding a CT Can

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshane

Never installed a CT can before and have a few questions. I have the CT can a 4" pvc nipple to a cutter, then two disconnects under the gutter connected with 2" pvc.
Have a rack that the CT's go on and the connection for the neutrals is not connected to the can itself (insulated from the can). I still connect it to the can dont i??
Can i go from the neutral lug to the can then to the gutter. Bring my grounding electrodes to my disconnect and use the bonding screw there?

Thanks

Shane

charlie

Re: Bonding a CT Can

On the line side of the service equipment, use the grounded conductor just as if it were the grounding conductor. Size all your bonding jumpers in accordance with 250.66. Everything has to be bonded to be electrically continuous. The answers to all your questions is yes. :D

akshane

Thanks Again!
I just want to make sure i am right on this.
I can go from the neutral on the ct rack to the ct can then to the gutter and stop at the cutter.
then i bring the grounding electrodes to the disconnects and use the bonding screw there.
Since i am using the bonding screw i dont have to continue to the disconnect with the wire from the ct rack neutral.

Sorry if this seams like i am asking it over again.

Since i am using the bonding screw i dont have to continue to the disconnect with the wire from the ct rack neutral.
You can use a neutral terminal block in the gutter or in the ct can and from there go to the disconnects. I'm guessing that this is probably what you had in mind.

akshane

One more for ya.
What about the the meter that is installed on the side of the ct can? Do i bond that or does the metering guy do it when he hooks it up?

thanks

Shane

charlie

The meter is like an appliance that plugs into a receptacle. You don't have anything to do with that piece of equipment other than installing the meter fitting. :D

akshane

So the little metering can than i have connected to the side of the CT Can with a 1" pvs nipple that the meter plugs into doesnt have to be bonded by me??

Thanks again!!!!!! kinda a feel dumb but have only been wiring houses, this is a little different and i want to do it right.

charlie

You asked about the meter not the meter fitting. The meter fitting (can) is to be bonded by you if it is nippled off to the side and the grounded conductor doesn't go through it where it is actually bolted to the meter fitting. If it is a self contained meter fitting, the grounded conductor is bolted directly to the meter fitting through the point of connection in the meter fitting for the grounded conductor. If it is an enclosure the meter is mounted in, that may not be the case. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.