Bond / ground trough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mounted a 4 foot trough above two panels, I have 4 2-1/2 inch nipples in between panels and trough, the wires are all passing through, there are no joints in the trough, my question is do I need to bond the trough to my ground, when the wires are only passing through, and if I do do I have to take a ground through each nipple. Or from each panel to the trough.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Another question, I know I could have mounted terminals in the trough and took my grounds to it, if I decide to change it, from my terminal in the trough, would I just take one ground to the panel or do I have to take one in each nipple down to the panel, I am kind of hung up on these four nipples and thinking I have to run a ground through each nipple, the nipples are two foot nipples. Thankyou for your input

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Bonding the WW depends on the system voltage..if over 300 V ph to ph need to bond around concentric or eccentric KOs
If Rigid nipples they do the bonding.
But its pretty common in WWs to use a grounding terminal bar (like used in panels) and run one EGC to ground bar in panel. This keeps all the EGC out of the panels and makes a nicer installation

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1. The panels, nipples, and trough (as long as they're metallic) are all considered EGCs, so no grounding wires are needed, even if you mount EGC buses to the trough, which is what I'd do if your circuits have EGCs (such as MC, NM etc,)

2. If you choose to use wire EGCs anyway, one per nipple is plenty, and they each only need to be sized to suit the largest circuit they each supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.