blinking led retro trims and led bulbs throughout the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

210424-1926 EDT

Buck Parrish:

You need to be more informative on how and why a dimmer on a different circuit can cause blinking on some other circuit.

Ok Gar , thanks ,The title implies the problem is in LED'S - try the little dial first. If that doesn't work.
(Well- what Gar said). Some switches actually have a little blue dial . Which I have found can cause other lights to flicker. Not just the ones the dimmer is controlling. That's all I got. Just my 2 cents........................................ LED Dimmer Flickering - Leviton LED Dimmers - YouTube

gar

Occupation
EE
210425-1419 EDT

Buck Parish:

That video you referenced is truly very confusing. Now that I am back to this post where is the link to the video. I have found it on the next page of posts.

That video was about a dimmer and an LED bulb connected to that dimmer. No references to other circuits. Different LED bulbs perform differently on a particular dimmer. Most dimmers you encounter use an SCR or Triac as a fast switch to in some fashion chop the incoming voltage source into off and on parts of the half cycle. You can also do dimming by adjusting the magnitude of a voltage source with a Variac.

When you chop a sine wave with a thyratron, ignitron, SCR, Triac, or other device you change the turn on time in the cycle, or with other devices the turn off time. This causes two major changes, turn on or off time, and average voltage or current. The electronics in the device may respond differently for these two changes in the waveform. Whereas an incandescent bulb for the most part is only affected by the average voltage or current for the frequencies of interest.

The first post of this thread provides inadequate information to work toward a solution to the problem.

gar

Occupation
EE
210523-1222 EDT

The original poster has gone away and not come back with any useful information. An adequate study of his problem should be helpful to others.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Back to more issues with LED bulbs,
Got another job where there is a noticeable flicker in dimmable LED bulbs. I do not notice this in non dimmable LED bulbs that I use as temporary lights in pigtail sockets.
What seems to be a common denominator between this job and a couple previous ones with this same problem is the power company associated with these jobs. (We have about 4 different power companies in the tri-county area.). In talking with my contractor customer, he seems to think that they utilize more smart metering that transmit on the power lines (back to central office for billing) vs smart meters that the other power companies use that utilize wireless transmission (read by mobile readers).

My question is, does anyone here know if this is legit or have any concrete answers about what this funny flickering is caused by and any remedies?

synchro

Occupation
EE
Back to more issues with LED bulbs,
Got another job where there is a noticeable flicker in dimmable LED bulbs. I do not notice this in non dimmable LED bulbs that I use as temporary lights in pigtail sockets.
What seems to be a common denominator between this job and a couple previous ones with this same problem is the power company associated with these jobs. (We have about 4 different power companies in the tri-county area.). In talking with my contractor customer, he seems to think that they utilize more smart metering that transmit on the power lines (back to central office for billing) vs smart meters that the other power companies use that utilize wireless transmission (read by mobile readers).

My question is, does anyone here know if this is legit or have any concrete answers about what this funny flickering is caused by and any remedies?

Some smart meter systems will modulate the zero crossing times of the 60Hz waveform to send address and data words from the utility to the meters. Dimmable bulbs typically have circuitry which detects the duty cycle of dimmer waveforms and changes the brightness in proportion to this duty cycle. AC waveform modulation for smart meters can interfere with this detection process inside dimmable bulbs and result in flickering.

Here are some related threads:

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/twacs-flickering.2555379/#post-2600904
https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads...mmer-connection-related.2565489/#post-2725266

Status
Not open for further replies.