better idea than contracting license

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan316

I work for the U.S. Government. I have a fair amount of electrical experience (received my 1st journeyman's license in '79) and have done a lot of work in the past for them. I have a new job in the engineering department and they are concerned about my not having a license. In my state, Arizona, there is not a journeyman's license. Instead the electrical contractor must be licensed and then anyone off the street can work for that person. My problem is that to obtain a contractors license, I must jump through several hoops including passing as a business management test, license fees ($645.00), obtaining a tax number, bonding, insurance, financial statement and more. I would like to suggest to my boss that we pursue some other means to deem me certified such as joining the union and passing their journeyman exam or taking some electrical course and getting a degree from that. Does anyone have any other ideas?

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: better idea than contracting license

I don't understand why you need any certification if you have been employed since 1979. The government does not require licenses. I have worked for the Air Force, Atomic Energy Commission, National Science Foundation, Dept. of Defense, and Pacific Missile Range. I have a bunch of licenses but no one cares.

cm

Dan we do work for the army, the beautiful thing is the local yocal municipal we bes have no jurisdiction,we were told if they come around to have the mps remove them . The army asked for a contractor profile/qualification in witch we listed all the certifications I hold. the directorate of contractings represenitive issue directions and inspects the work , the system they have works ,are you a sub contractor? If you are an employee why do you need insurance and a license who ever you work for should foot the bill,sounds like you need a pe license or a plan examiners certification

dmpaul

You can just move to IOWA!! There they don't need anything. You can say you are an electician and you are one. Say you are bonded,insured,or any of the above, and you are!!! lol
I don't mean to offend anyone, I know they are working on changing that right now. I do know that there is city codes and rules to follow.

jerod

i have worked for many gov't agencies as an electrician instrument tech and hvacr tech. i have a contractors license in california c-20 and a certificate of completetion of apprenticeship from california grad date 1978. i have never been asked for my license or certificate. i do not have them in my personel file. what agency do you work for? if you are a permanent employee and competent it doesn't matter! although i am certified journeyman electrician by the state of california i have worked with very few electricians in the gov't that do have paper.

wocolt

I agree with electricmanscott, just because you work for the government Should not preclude any local registration or licenseing.
The rules should be more stringent because you work for the government.

Wm.Colt

Status
Not open for further replies.