Best way to run conduit along a long fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0x1

We need to run about 160ft of conduit along a steel picket fence in an asphalt parking lot. It is in an industrial type location so surface mounted is ok, not going to trench and bury it. I think my two options are attach EMT directly to the fence, or run GRC on roof blocks across the ground. At first I thought to run GRC directly on the ground but that would create a dam for runoff and cause water to pool.

Anyone have any better ideas? What will I need as far as expansion joints?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I always use rigid instead of emt on a fence, landscapers are bad at hitting the fence with equipment. Have seen a lot of pvc ran on a fence, but looks like dog c*** right off the bat because strapping is too far apart.

Todd0x1

I always use rigid instead of emt on a fence, landscapers are bad at hitting the fence with equipment. Have seen a lot of pvc ran on a fence, but looks like dog c*** right off the bat because strapping is too far apart.

PVC along a fence seems like a bad idea. This fence divides two halves of a parking lot so no worries about landscapers, but if someone were to step on the conduit that would be a problem with emt.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For an application like running along the fence I would use threaded conduit. If the fence is right there I see no reason to run along the ground.

Todd0x1

For an application like running along the fence I would use threaded conduit. If the fence is right there I see no reason to run along the ground.

Theres a post every 8 feet I would have to saddle around, that would be a nightmare with rigid. Well, I could draw it up and have the supply house bend it.

What do I need as far as expansion joints?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Can't you strap it to the posts at the same height as the bottom rail? No saddling

Do you really need expansion joints for only 160 ft?

Todd0x1

I didn't like the idea of 8ft free air spans of unsupported conduit, especially EMT. Maybe if I just go with 3/4

I don't know if I need expansion joints for 160 feet, that's what I was asking.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Theres a post every 8 feet I would have to saddle around, that would be a nightmare with rigid. Well, I could draw it up and have the supply house bend it.
Is the other side of the fence flat? Can you fit between the fence and the posts?

Can we see a couple of pics of it?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I didn't like the idea of 8ft free air spans of unsupported conduit, especially EMT. Maybe if I just go with 3/4

Well, you wouldn't be able to put too many offsets in it before you would have more than 360 Degrees worth of bends. Then you would need some pull boxes and I'm sure that would look tacky

Todd0x1

Well, you wouldn't be able to put too many offsets in it before you would have more than 360 Degrees worth of bends. Then you would need some pull boxes and I'm sure that would look tacky

I would need a couple C conduit bodies yes.

Todd0x1

Is the other side of the fence flat? Can you fit between the fence and the posts?

Can we see a couple of pics of it?

I'll have to take a picture. The posts are 4in square, everything else is maybe 1-1/2" thick, centered in the side of the 4" post. So neither side is flat.

Maybe use back to back cowboy to a get a support in the middle of each post? Distance might work out about right for no bends. Or some sort of U bolt with a spacer? IMO no expansion joints needed. If a fence is steel, it's going to expand at the same rate as the conduit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'll have to take a picture. The posts are 4in square, everything else is maybe 1-1/2" thick, centered in the side of the 4" post. So neither side is flat.
4 - 1.5 = 2.5
2.5 / 2 = 1.25

So, we're talking about a 1.25" offset. How about a piece of strut each mid-span?

You could even use a Mineralac strap on a cut-to-length stand-off made of pipe.

I would go with 1/2" rigid instead of 3/4" EMT, and mount it low near the ground.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

I was referring to rigid. Which was what you said you didn’t want to make that many saddles.

Status
Not open for further replies.