Best PLC for the Application

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneyj

Occupation
Project Engineer
First off, I am not sure if throwing around brand names is ok. I searched the forum rules and could find nothing. If I am violating any forum rules, please feel free to appropriately chastise.
We currently use a particular brand of PLC of worldwide renown. It was chosen because that was what the previous software engineer had experience with.
It has proven to be unsuitable for the conditions in which it operates. We have sent techs to the field to re-install I/O modules and re-torque fasteners and the like.
This system is installed into a mobile unit. It is housed in a NEMA 4 enclosure inside a climate controlled cabin. The unit travels from well to well on bumpy lease roads. Once it is on site, it is operating inside a unit that vibrates and shakes during operations which last on average 24-48 hours at a time with little to know down time in that time span.
We are now looking at another product that has been proven in a high vibration environment (this proof is word of mouth from a sub-contractor that has no stake in what brand we use), but management is gun-shy about pulling the trigger on another product without looking at it from every possible angle.
You guys with PLC experience, do you know of a product that will hold up under these conditions?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Depends a lot on what the real problem is. Some people don't get that DIN rail mounted stuff tends to be more vibration sensitive than stuff more securely mounted.

I know a company that sells stuff to the Navy. As part of the testing process the control panels are installed on a barge and depth charges are set off around it. Pretty serious shock. The PLCs they are using generally come through the testing OK, but there are some things they do to help themselves along.

Spring type terminals are far more resistant to vibration than screw type terminals, for one thing.

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
Check out PLCs that have EN 50155 rating. That’s a rail spec where shock and vibration are obviously a big thing. There are certainly others, but off hand I know that Siemens has a product line that conforms to this.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Also, has anyone discussed this with your current supplier? Many of them (especially the big names) have "extreme duty" versions of their products, so programming. familiarity etc. would remain the same.

Shaneyj

Occupation
Project Engineer
Thanks for the responses. I will look into the EN rating.
We do have the supplier for our current PLC coming out today to discuss options. I have heard they make a more rugged line so we will ask about that. The product we use right now is at the higher end of the cost spectrum, so I suspect the $ to go up if we upgrade to a physically more robust product line.

Status
Not open for further replies.