Battery Room and Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
My client wants to take the batteries off the generator set and place them on a rack along side the genset, its my understanding that once they are removed off the genset and placed inside an enclosed room the room becomes a hazardous location subject to Article 501. Is there a specif reference I can use so this does not become a ugly issue with my client, I have been looking, probably just not in right section.

Where is the genset? In a room or outside? If the genset is already enclosed in that room, along with the battery and fuel, I don't see much of a difference if the battery is mounted in the genset frame or sitting on the floor next to it.

A better question is why the client wants to do this in the first place. What's the goal?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use floor mounted battery racks for generators all of the time. I've never heard of that triggering Article 500 classifications.

The goal is to have a custom walk-in enclosure constructed with the genset inside and a battery rack about 5 feet away from the set itself. There is no fuel stored inside this building, the fuel tank is external to the building. My designer brought the issue up but did not have a reference, l think he was looking for a "got ya" moment, I can not find one reference to anything indicating this would be a hazardous condition.

Thanks for the response, you have just re-assured my initial assumption.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
First - the battery room must be consistent with Article 480.

Second - if it is consistent, it isn't required to be Classified.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
BTW everybody - Classification is per Article 500, not 501. Installation is per Article 501 (if necessary).

Status
Not open for further replies.