Battery Ballasts for Metal halide fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
But it looks like that only runs the lamp for 2 minutes. You would probably also need a generator. Then the battery would keep the arc in the lamp going so you don't need to wait 5 minutes for the lamp to restrike.

Are these going to be required egress lights?

Steve

sceepe

I do not believe that meal halide or other HID fixtures can have battery backup. If someone has come up with a battery for them, I am not aware of it. The use of Batttery backup for HID fixtures is not what I would call a "standard" practice.

The arc Keeper product is used in generator aplications to keep the lamp from going out during the transition (10 seconds or less) to generator power (and thus avoiding the 15 min restrike delay). Other options for generator systems are secondary quartz lamps inside the fixture.

I would advise you look for a compact flourescent fixture with a battery backup option. Remember you need 2 lamps to be code compliant. Two 42W triple tubes seems to be as bright a 100MH. Also, if outside you may need a cold weather ballast. (Bodine makes one of those also).

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
With fluorescent lights, you can run the lamps at partial output. For example, a common battery pack puts out 300 lumens from a 4' 32 watt tube instead of the standard 3000 lumens. That saves on battery size and life.

On the other hand, if you want to run a 400W MH lamp off a battery, you have to supply the full 400W. In general, you need 90 minutes of emergency power. So it would be hard to get 400W for 90 minutes without a large expensive battery.

Steve

rr

An inverter system is an option. But keep in mind that any loss of power will cause the metal halide fixtures to restrike. A real concern for emergency situations.

Personally, I would go with high bay fluorescents with a 90 minute battery backup ballast. Something similar to Sportlite.

hmspe

Occupation
PE
rr said:
Personally, I would go with high bay fluorescents with a 90 minute battery backup ballast. Something similar to Sportlite.

I've used Sportlite, and they're great for elementary school gyms if you want to do 2 lamp / 4 lamp / 6 lamp / 8 lamp switching to change the light level, but the re-lamping costs are way too high. Adding enough battery packs to get more than minimal lighting is also very expensive.

The new "high bay fluorescent" fixtures (like Lithonia "Spec-beam) are a better choice in many cases. You can get reasonably high output integral battery packs, and the costs aren't nearly as high as for a fixture using CF lamps.

When high bay metal halide is the fixture of choice I tend to put in a few fluorescent wraparounds that stay on 24/7, together with whatever unit equipment emergency lights are required. The wraparounds give night lighting and egress lighting during re-strike of the MH fixtures.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.