Bathtub tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
& I would say those rules are specific to the inside where water is located - the tub has no distinction, so, interpretation is required - the knife edge line has to be established some how.
Which is the inside wall of tub, basin, pool, etc.

If you have one of those one piece vanity tops that has the sink(s) formed into it, any case where you need to determine distance to the "sink" it is to the actual "basin(s)" and not to the edge of that one piece vanity top.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Back to the original topic, is there a code legal way to install the TV on the wall adjacent to the tub?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Back to the original topic, is there a code legal way to install the TV on the wall adjacent to the tub?

From my perspective, looking at the Code as "permissive", is it against Code to install a TV on the wall adjacent to the tub ?

kwired

Electron manager
From my perspective, looking at the Code as "permissive", is it against Code to install a TV on the wall adjacent to the tub ?
Code doesn't really address the TV either, just the receptacle that supplies it, and possibly any signal cable connected to it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Code doesn't really address the TV either, just the receptacle that supplies it, and possibly any signal cable connected to it.

agreed, and unless I'm mistaken, the only applicable Code is 406.9
(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

so, unless it's addressed by the manufacturer, there are no restrictions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

Until the 2020 is accepted. The exception will probably come into play alot

406.9(C) Bathtub and Shower Space.
Receptacles shall not be instal⁠led within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. The identified zone is all-encompassing and shall include the space directly over the tub or shower stall.
Exception: In bathrooms with less than the required zone the receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be installed opposite the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold on the farthest wall within the room.

kwired

Electron manager

And that gets us back to where is the boundary in certain installations? If it is a vertical line at the edge of basin of the tub, I can show you many hydromassage installations that have space that is close but still outside the prohibited zone where a receptacle could be placed.

I guess 2020 NEC does make it clearer where you can't place a receptacle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What about a tub like this with the TV on the wall to the left.

VpigVnDrTk9k0wDevLetHjT9XlgQ_obVX5HuU4CiPq4vN30mOorhpcVAIDoqTkm88Yk4Rfo694Qv01qvUO1Q19DhHbIFBs5KQtK-PdjAsYAgRMtJGPIF4q6w1_DR5DTMBWs6sXffAA

mwm1752

Which is the inside wall of tub, basin, pool, etc.

If you have one of those one piece vanity tops that has the sink(s) formed into it, any case where you need to determine distance to the "sink" it is to the actual "basin(s)" and not to the edge of that one piece vanity top.
"& I would say those rules are specific to the inside where water is located - the tub has no distinction, so, interpretation is required - the knife edge line has to be established some how. "
I wonder if you ever just read the simple statements or just want to argue --
According to your interpretation ( the surrounding edge of the bathis not in the tub) then the shower threshold would not be inside the shower -- as you can clearly see the inside rim of the bathtub is not specified -
406.9 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.
As stated these as specific
210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. (A) Dwelling Units. (7) Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) from the top inside edge of the bowl of the sink

680.22 Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment. (A) Receptacles. (1) Required Receptacle, Location. Where a permanently installed pool is installed, no fewer than one 125-volt, 15- or 20-ampere receptacle on a general-purpose branch circuit shall be located not less than 1.83 m (6 ft) from, and not more than 6.0 m (20 ft) from, the inside wall of the pool. This receptacle shall be located not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 6 in.) above the floor, platform, or grade level serving the pool.

mwm1752

Until the 2020 is accepted. The exception will probably come into play alot

Dennis, I did not catch the 2020 wording - it appears the receptacle placement is following the same rules as cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans. The oddity is that is not addressed - it is compliant to place the vanity receptacle no more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the top of the basin or basin countertop within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally of the bathtub rim because the placement could be below the rim.
It appears the exception is based upon the a required recept required to be within 3' of basin.
2020 NEC would not allow a receptacle within the zone if it is behind a mounted tv - the tv appliance IMHO is nothing more than an appliance with no restrictions except common sense.
406.9(C) Bathtub and Shower Space.

Receptacles shall not be instal⁠led within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. The identified zone is all-encompassing and shall include the space directly over the tub or shower stall.

Exception: In bathrooms with less than the required zone the receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be installed opposite the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold on the farthest wall within the room.

410.10(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas.

A luminaire installed in a bathtub or shower area shall meet all of the following requirements:

410.10(D)(1)

No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all-encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall.

210.52(D) Bathrooms.

At least one receptacle outlet shall be instal⁠led in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop, located on the countertop, or installed on the side or face of the basin cabinet. In no case shall the receptacle be located more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the top of the basin or basin countertop. Receptacle outlet assemblies listed for use in countertops shall be permitted to be installed in the countertop.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
This is how they needed to get maximum electrical coupling to the heart when using the earliest electrocardiograph machines, which were not very sensitive. So it's also probably one of the worst case configurations for getting electrocuted with an external electrical source. So don't do this at home!

Willem_Einthoven_ECG.jpg

GFCIs were in large part driven by metal frame tools lacking an EGC. Water or large grounded surfaces lowered body resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.