Bathtub lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I have someone who wants to install a low volt led strip in a cutout just above the tub, about 2 feet long where you might put soap, shampoo, etc. Even on a gfi I don't know if it would meet code. Anyone ever see or do this. The customer saw it in a magazine. I am thinking it would have to be listed for such use.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Perhaps someone makes lights that have a fiber optic "tail" that would allow them to be in a safe place.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the light is listed for wet location that it is fine. This is from the 2020-- similar in the 2017

(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas.

A luminaire installed in a bathtub or shower area shall meet all of the following requirements:
(1)

No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all-encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall.
(2)

Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked suitable for damp locations or marked suitable for wet locations. Luminaires located where subject to shower spray shall be marked suitable for wet locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.