Bathroom vent fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone make an “old work” vent fan? My company loves to use the cheapest Nutone vent fans and that’s fine, I just strongly dislike installing them because of the mounting tabs and getting the vent hose into the hole I just made. Any tips on how to become more efficient in installing them? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
Bath fans are always some kind of pain to change out. Broan/NuTone and Panasonic do make models that make it easier to install from within the bathroom. They are more expensive but do save a good bit of time and potential drywall damage.

WSG

MN elec contractor
Occupation
Electrician & Contracor
I like the vent fan shown in the attached picture. Model # SIG110 by Delta Breez.

Can be installed with out going into attic. Not always but sometimes. Its quiet. Need to use a 3inch to 4inch adaptor sometimes. Duct adaptor can be installed from below and inside the housing. This allows for a flex dict to be pulled into the housing, connected and then the adaptor is secured to the housing.

Very remodel friendly.

BUT...
It is taller than other vent fans. It won't fit into a 2x6 space.

Even better when I exclude duct connect and leave it up to the general contractor!

Screenshot_20211027-154148-862.png

Last edited:

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone make an “old work” vent fan? My company loves to use the cheapest Nutone vent fans and that’s fine, I just strongly dislike installing them because of the mounting tabs and getting the vent hose into the hole I just made. Any tips on how to become more efficient in installing them? Thanks

Depends if there's floor above. You can fold the mounting flanges so they aren't in the way so much. Then screw the fan in from inside.

It's usually easiest to wire the fan, then get it in the hole, then fasten the duct to it.

But are you trying to attach to an existing hard duct? That can sometimes be impossible because of the orientaion of the fan.

Occupation
Electrician
Depends if there's floor above. You can fold the mounting flanges so they aren't in the way so much. Then screw the fan in from inside.

It's usually easiest to wire the fan, then get it in the hole, then fasten the duct to it.

But are you trying to attach to an existing hard duct? That can sometimes be impossible because of the orientaion of the fan.

Thanks.
Oh yes. Old hard duct line, triple layer of Sheetrock. I’m thinking it’s impossible

Occupation
Electrician
I like the vent fan shown in the attached picture. Model # SIG110 by Delta Breez.

Can be installed with out going into attic. Not always but sometimes. Its quiet. Need to use a 3inch to 4inch adaptor sometimes. Duct adaptor can be installed from below and inside the housing. This allows for a flex dict to be pulled into the housing, connected and then the adaptor is secured to the housing.

Very remodel friendly.

BUT...
It is taller than other vent fans. It won't fit into a 2x6 space.

Even better when I exclude duct connect and leave it up to the general contractor!

View attachment 2558215

I like it.
We tend to install some Nutone that’s very loud. It’s almost always in a first floor bathroom without any access above

Occupation
Electrician
Bath fans are always some kind of pain to change out. Broan/NuTone and Panasonic do make models that make it easier to install from within the bathroom. They are more expensive but do save a good bit of time and potential drywall damage.

It’s those darn ears and getting the duct connected then in. I suppose I’m not cutting the hole big enough but the grill cover hangs over pretty well. Thanks you

Last edited by a moderator:
Occupation
Electrician
What you might be able to do is extend the existing duct by about 3 ft with some Flex, then turn the fan around the other direction. Basically run the flex duct past the fan and circle back to it

I think you’re right
Only issue is a few 1/2 copper water pipes might be in the way. It’s a difficult spot to say the least

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
What you might be able to do is extend the existing duct by about 3 ft with some Flex, then turn the fan around the other direction. Basically run the flex duct past the fan and circle back to it
That's going to reduce performance by introducing more static pressure drop from the u-turn in flex.

Does anyone make a unit with a duct connection method that is friendly for hard duct and working from below?

I'm thinking of something like a square flanged duct adapter that first gets connected to the hard duct very precisely, and which fits into a flanged and gasketed slot on the fan housing to make an airtight connection.

Cheers, Wayne

Jon456

That's going to reduce performance by introducing more static pressure drop from the u-turn in flex.
Very true. It may also increase fan sound levels.

Why not cut back the hard duct as far as you can reach and add a section of flex just long enough to make the connection while still remaining fairly straight?

WSG

MN elec contractor
Occupation
Electrician & Contracor
I've installed replacement vent fans. Lots of them. I increased my price every time I did another one. So many variables. And, I 'had the opportunity to' eat plaster dust, insulation, lead paint, mouse *h*t and other goodies. I don't do many nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.