Bathroom fans within the area of the tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

I have two bath fans that are definitely within the area that will require them to be on GFCI's. One is on the ceiling and the other is high on a wall.

My question is why? Not that I don't want to do it, I am just curious. Is there an actual danger here while someone is showering? Or is it more like the NEC figures someone may be fiddling with the fan while they're standing in the tub or shower pan?

480sparky

Most ceilings are 8'-0". Many adults (as well as teenagers) can touch an 8'-0" ceiling. Ergo, most adults can touch a fart fan in a 8'-0" ceiling.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Where is the code reference that would not permit this? 410.10(D) references light fixtures, paddle fans, etc. I thought that if some item such as a fart fan were installed in that space it would have to be listed and labeled by manufacturer for that use normally including it to be GFCI protected? Please learn me , thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The only Code referance I know of is 110.3(b). All the exhaust fans I've seen have manufacturer instructions to GFCI protect them if they are over a tub or shower.

Never know when someone is going to be standing in a full tub and think "This is a good time to clean that fan" :)

JoeNorm

Actually you have jogged my memory. It is not NEC. It is a manufacturer thing. Thanks for the reminder!

Status
Not open for further replies.