bath/laundry

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb

On a addition to a house the home owner is adding a full bathroom with a laundry area. will I need to pull a circ. for the bath lighting and recp. and pull a circ. for the washer. or can this be one circ. since they are in the same room?
I know code requires one for laundry and gen. lighting and recp. can be the same if supplying one bath.

russ

Re: bath/laundry

210.11(C)(2) would require the laundry circuit to be in addition to any other circuit required by 210.52(F), and have no other outlets.

[ March 30, 2004, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: russ ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I agree with Russ, but there is an ?entertaining? twist to this situation. I am curious as to whether the house already has a laundry circuit installed. Suppose there is (CEB, do you know?). Suppose that circuit supplies one laundry receptacle and no other outlets. Suppose the owner has chosen to use that space for another purpose (for example, as a home-office area). Finally, suppose the homeowner is tired of going to the Laundromat, has bought his own washer and dryer, and is using this remodel project to create a space to put the new machines.

I believe that NEC article 210.11(C)(2) does not prohibit the installation of a second circuit to serve a laundry machine. It also does not say that ?every time the homeowner plugs in a washer, the circuit it plugs into must have no other outlets.? All is does say is that the one laundry circuit you install at the beginning must have no other outlets. I also note that if the laundry machines are in a bathroom, then the exception to 210.11(C)(3) would not prohibit them from being served by the bathroom?s lighting and receptacle circuit. You would have to make sure you don?t exceed the load limits of 210.23(A), but that might be possible.

This was a mere academic exercise. I would prefer to have the laundry machines on a separate circuit. But I think it is possible to go with one circuit, without violating the NEC.

ceb

Charlie you are correct in your assessment of 210.11 c 3 exception. However I also agree it would be best to pull a extra circuit. and yes there is an existing laundry room in the home

pierre

Remember that all receptacles in a dwelling unit bathroom are required to have GFCI protection, there are no exceptions.

210.52(F)In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the laundry.
210.11(C)(2) requires this receptacle to have at least one 20 amp rated circuit.

If laundry equipment is added to the bathroom, it is required to have a 20 ampere rated circuit with a GFCI protected receptacle, that is not part of the required bathroom circuit.

Pierre

cs409

210.11(C)(2) stated one laundry cir and mentions outlet/s and is pretty straing on in its intent...but as earlier stated,,,no rules about plugging into another outlet and circuit! thats the
problem with the nec,,,,if it wants the laundry circuit to be just for the laundry cir,,,then they do a good job in 210.11/c/2/ but they fall short by not saying,,,,,laundry app. are to be used only on a laundry cir! if the nec would just go to the points instead of trying to read like a law!!

my 2cents..

Status
Not open for further replies.