Bath Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klev21

New User
Occupation
E Estimator/project manager
It would be difficult to explain this situation, but the bottom line and my question is: does anyone know if it would be against any code to "hardwire" an exhaust fan to run all the time = used to be on a timer switch = now they want it on all the time. I have read online that manufacturer'r don't recommend it, but i can't find anywhere it says it would be against code

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No NEC issue that I know of unless it goes against the manufacturer's instructions or listing. In large buildings toilet exhaust fans run all of the time. It could be an energy code issue.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you can use an in;line fan that would be the best. Fantech fans cannot die....LOL They actually closed up the exhaust on the fantech and the company swears it ran for 30 days continuously and it was still going when they pulled the plug.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Most typical exhaust fans spin faster with the outlet blocked, not slower.
Yes inlet or outlet blocked. The only issue is if the fan is running too fast because it's not moving any air and it wasn't designed to do so. I'm not sure if that animal even exists.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Yes inlet or outlet blocked. The only issue is if the fan is running too fast because it's not moving any air and it wasn't designed to do so. I'm not sure if that animal even exists.
It wouldn't be because of running to fast, but there are fan motors that rely on the stream of air they create moving over them to dissipate heat in the windings.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It wouldn't be because of running to fast, but there are fan motors that rely on the stream of air they create moving over them to dissipate heat in the windings.
That makes sense, the fan itself it moving air to also cool the motor. I was thinking of something like a shop vac, if you cut off the supply the motor the current drops and it quickly runs at a much higher speed. I was just wondering if that "load" is somehow factored into the design because without it just sounds like it would burn out a bearing or something in a short period of time.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You would still need a disconnect means (either cord & plug & receptacle or a switch locally). Otherwise, you would have to install a breaker lock. Aside from the durability of the fan and manufacturers' recommendations (as others have noted) I don't see any NEC violations.

Status
Not open for further replies.