Basements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a two part question on GFCI outlets in unfinished basements. The code requires a min. of one in each unfinished area. Per 210.52 (G). My contention is that all additional outlets also require GFCI protection. I have written this up on inspections and the electrical contractor say the code only requires one to be GFIC protected. If so I fail to see the need for even one. They also say that it is not possible because the outlets in most areas of the unfinished basement are on Arc fault breakers and the GFCI do not work on same circuit. I realize that all bedroom outlets require Arc fault protection, but a unfinished basement bedroom is not a bedroom until finished. At that time then all outlets should be on Arc fault breakers.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Basements

I read 210.8(A)(5) as all outlets in the unfinished area shall be Ground fault protected other then the exceptions

IMO if it is finished AFCIs, Unfinished GFCIs

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Basements

First, there should not be a problem installing a GFCI receptacle on an AFCI protected circuit. Second 210.8(A)(5) requires all 15 and 20 amp, 125 volt receptacles in unfinished basements to have GFCI protection. Third, 210.52(G) requires a minimum of one receptacle in each unfinished basement area. The code requires one receptacle, but if you want to install more, they still have to be GFCI per 210.8(A)(5).
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.