basement ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb

I am rewireing a 5000 sq. ft. house built in 1915,full basement,1st floor and 2 floor. ALL floors are 6" concrete walls are block with 1" thick morter stuco inside and out. The house was still using the orignal 125volt 78amp lighting panel, however some one in the late 70's installed a 150 amp panel in the basement to accomadate the stove,dryer and hvac units.This instalation looks as if some one backed up to the basement and dumped the wire and panel in. In all the experts here what would be best to run my romex on? The only thing i can come up with is to strip the concrete celing of the basement with 2 x 4s with blocks on the ends so I can then cover the wire with plywood for protection

benaround

Re: basement ideas

ceb, Where are the romex circuits going to go once they leave the basement? Are the inside walls also block? Are the blocks filled with grout or do you have "air voids" enabling you to fish thru them? What wiring method is existing there now.I'm trying to find out if Art.-336 is going to be the way for you to go.

ceb

More info,this basement is about 60ft long the kitchen is at the far end from the panel. who ever remodled this house befor came through the floor with 6 circ. in 1" emt and from their ( and this is no bs) wired the romex to the lathing and stucoed over the wire. the kitchen has now been striped with 2x4s I have no problem with getting in to the wall I am looking for a neat way to get my runs to the places I need to go. For the other parts of the house their is 1/2 " ridged in the walls I am going to pull to the bottom of old pannel set j box on cond. going up and use old can as j box to feed existing rooms with thhn and wire mold since bedrooms only had one recp. in each room

benaround

Some of those old places are built like bomb shelters,anyway,IMO using EMT in the basement to get your circuits to the locations that you picked seems to me to be less work and a cleaner looking job than building a 60 ft. plywood enclosure,it sounds like you have the rest of it figured out.I hope this is a T&M type job!! Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.