Bare wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

Once (quite a while ago) I thought I had heard that bare wire had a coating on it, so bare would not be the same as THHN/THWN that was stripped of its insulation.

Does anyone know if this is accurate or not (I really don't know).

rattus

Stiff,

Maybe you are thinking of magnet wire, used in transformers and motors. It is coated with some sort of varnish which must be removed before soldering. Plain old bare wire is really bare as far as I know.

haskindm

I have never heard it referred to as "buss wire", I guess I learned something new. I have heard it referred to as "tinned copper". This is the the "coated copper" which is referred to in table eight in Chapter 9.

rattus

Correction:

It is "bus" wire. "Buss" is the name of a fuse company.

In the days before printed circuit boards, bus wire was used along with insulated hookup wire to interconnect the various tube sockets, etc., of electronic equipment. One might use it on control panels today, but most electricians would have no need for it.

Mike03a3

Paul B said:
I think the coating on transformer wire is glycol.

Perhaps you are thinking of Glyptal (or Glyptol)? I think it's actually a GE tradename for a resin used as an insulator for a long time, but not on manufactured winding wire that I'm aware of. Winding wire was traditionally coated with a shellac or varnish, but is now covered with a variety of modern materials, including being powder coated with enamel.

(Glycol is generally Ethylene Glycol - antifreeze)

Paul B

MIke, Thanks for correcting me. I have not used it for about twenty five years, memory is starting to slip.

Paul

Mike03a3

Paul B said:
MIke, Thanks for correcting me. I have not used it for about twenty five years, memory is starting to slip.

Paul

Yeah - tell me about it. I'm currently depressed because I received a letter soliciting alumni donations to replace the dilapidated old recreation center at my alma mater -- the one they built when I was there.
<sigh> :( :(
It's been a long time since I touched aa can of Glyptal myself. Nasty red stuff, IIRC

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.