ballasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie tuna

Re: ballasts

are they electronic? we had 27 out of 58 fixtures go bad within three months- at that point we replaced all the ballasts - they were dual voltage sylvania - 120/277 volt. we believe they got connected to the 120 volt circuit and shift to 277 volts on a power surge and then don't shift down. we brought two over to another building that has 277 volts and they work fine? dual voltage ballast are crap!!!!

Try using a differnet lamp man. Had an instance where we put in 20+ 2x2s that didn't work. Turned out it was the lamps, all of them.

catchtwentytwo

Years ago we were under bid on a T-8 Retrofit project for one of our best customers. The installer used low-end (imported) 277 volt electronic ballasts. One by one they burned out and I gradually replaced them (with a name brand) T&M on many, many service calls. The difference in physical weight was surprising and might have been a clue.

Try replacing failed ones with different name brands and see if the failure pattern continues. I suppose now-a-days most ballasts are made off-shore (or from imported components) so it may be a moot point. With a name brand you can probably get some support from the factory and maybe a forensic analysis on ones that fail.

charlie tuna

i too have noticed the weight difference in some of these "off brand" electronic ballast. they weigh about the same as a standard ballast. and they are failing!!!

The lamps have all worked fine once the ballasts were changed. I have had no problem with any of the replacement ballasts (name brand ballasts), and some of them have been in for over a year. I'm guessing the original ballasts were just crap!! I thank you all for your feedback.

tonyi

My dad used to say if you wanted to know how good something was - put it on a scale :D

Status
Not open for further replies.