Backup options for electric gate opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0x1

Gate opener is AC motor type, no provision for battery backup without adding this backup kit from the manufacturer that includes a second small DC motor. Has anyone fed a gate opener with a UPS or Inverter/Charger+battery (pure sinewave of course). The motor is a 120v 1/2 hp PSC type, how many kva would the inverter need to be to be able to reliability run the motor?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
In my view a UPS would not lend it self to this application. These small UPSs are not designed for a single large inductive load. I would look at the many gate operators that use DC motors and offer backup built in.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In my view a UPS would not lend it self to this application. These small UPSs are not designed for a single large inductive load. I would look at the many gate operators that use DC motors and offer backup built in.
I agree. The cost of a suitable UPS would cost more that replacing operator with modern unit that has integral backup.

Todd0x1

The opener isn't going to get changed. Its a commercial sliding gate on our office building. There is a battery backup unit for the gate opener but it is close in cost to an alternative. I don't like the gate opener battery backup as it is a separate motor and control module, and it has limitations with regard to gate size. I have a bunch of 2 and 3 kva APC smartups which are pure sinewave output, I could try one of those. There are also inverter/charger units with pure sinewave output that may not be as fussy as a UPS. I need to do more research.

Status
Not open for further replies.