Backfeeding solar in a Main Panel with feeders at bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Solar Installer
Hi, if I had a 200A main panel that has feeders located at the bottom that go to a 150A service panel, is it still possible to use the 120% rule if I was to backfeed a 40A solar breaker at the bottom slot of the 200A main panel?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hi, if I had a 200A main panel that has feeders located at the bottom that go to a 150A service panel, is it still possible to use the 120% rule if I was to backfeed a 40A solar breaker at the bottom slot of the 200A main panel?
In most jurisdictions I work in, yes, as long as the subpanel fed by the feedthough lugs has a main breaker. Since the MCB is 200A and the sub is only 150A, I assume that it does.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
In my opinion, no, you can't use the 120% rule with a 40A breaker because the breaker is not at the opposite end, the lugs are.

Options:
1) Tap the feeder to a fused disco for the solar.
2) Use another one of the busbar rules.
3) Install the breaker in the sub.
For options 1 and 2 you most likely need the main breaker in the sub as ggunn described.

The 2020 NEC has a section that addresses feed through lugs and is more restrictive than the ambiguities might allow in earlier cycles.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Can you point me to the pertinent article?
2020 705.12(B)(3)(6):

"Connections shall be permitted on busbars of panelboards that supply lugs connected to feed-through conductors. The feed-through conductors shall I be sized in accordance with 705.12(B)(1). Where an overcurrent device is installed at the supply end of the feed-through conductors, the busbar in the supplying panel board shall be permitted to be sized in accordance with 705.12(B)(3)(1) through 705.12(B)(3)(3)."

Cheers, Wayne

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
2020 705.12(B)(3)(6):

"Connections shall be permitted on busbars of panelboards that supply lugs connected to feed-through conductors. The feed-through conductors shall I be sized in accordance with 705.12(B)(1). Where an overcurrent device is installed at the supply end of the feed-through conductors, the busbar in the supplying panel board shall be permitted to be sized in accordance with 705.12(B)(3)(1) through 705.12(B)(3)(3)."

Cheers, Wayne
So there needs to be OCPD on the feedthrough conductors where they leave the MDP?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So there needs to be OCPD on the feedthrough conductors where they leave the MDP?
Yeah, I don't know, as I find the text very ambiguous. Is "supply-end" with respect to the grid, or to the interconnected power source, or either? Also, as the last sentence is written in the permissive tone, there's nothing that actually seems to prohibit using (B)(3)(1)through (B)(3)(3) when the predicate of that sentence is not satisfied.

For reference, below is the 2023 First Draft version of the corresponding section, 705.12(B)(5). I find it to be clearer (although it still has the same problem with the permissive tone in the last sentence). What I can't tell is whether what it says is what the CMP thought they were saying in the 2020 NEC, but they messed up the wording the first time, or if this represents an intended substantive change.

Cheers, Wayne

"Connections shall be permitted on busbars of panelboards that supply lugs connected to feed-through conductors or are supplied by feed-through conductors. The feed-through conductors shall be sized in accordance with 705.12(A). Where an overcurrent device is installed at either end of the feed-through conductors, panelboard busbars on either side of the feed-through conductors shall be permitted to be sized in accordance with (1) through (3)."

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I would think so anyway, if they're only rated for 150a, unless they're short enough for tap allowances
See this recent thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.