Backer board for service panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

DH Electric Co

Electrons, Chess, Bacon & Broads.
Occupation
Electrician
That's what drive pins are for.
Although I haven't used one of them in years. They were a real pain to get out once you drove them up tight.
I thought nailing or shooting pins to mount a service panel was illegal. At least it is here where I am because the panel needs to be removable, ie: mounted with screws.

I run into panels that are shot to the concrete from time to time and usually need a f&%king crow bar to pry them off the foundation.

Anyone ever have an inspector take exemption to exposed NM at the panel being “subject to damage?”
That is one of those things that drives me crazy, when someone takes "exposed" as being equivalent to "subject to physical damage". the NEC allows NM to be exposed, it says it right in there and describes that it should be secured, closely follow the surface, etc. Exposed does not automatically mean it's subject to physical damage!!!🤬

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I thought nailing or shooting pins to mount a service panel was illegal. At least it is here where I am because the panel needs to be removable, ie: mounted with screws.

I run into panels that are shot to the concrete from time to time and usually need a f&%king crow bar to pry them off the foundation.
I've seen lots of panels blasted on with a Ramset or Hilti.

Here's a trick - use a 1" hole saw with the pilot next to the head of the concrete nail. In only 2 minutes you can have that panel off the wall.

Then it's up to you if you wanna beat and pry the nails or just mount your new panel over them

James L

Occupation
Electrician
So in those cases it's not a code requirement, just case of an official with a power Trip who should be fired immediately.
Around here, it's usually a case where it's been done like that for so long that everybody just does it that way.

We have 14 dozen municipalities here in the KC metro area, and most people are like "over here they want this, over there they're looking for that"

I can't count the number of times one of my buddies will call me asking what they're looking for in a certain city. I'll ask what code cycle are they on, and said buddy never knows.

That's because there may be an official adoption, but sometimes it matters very little. They enforce or ignore whatever they want.

One inspector in Kansas City Kansas told me they don't require TR receptacles there. I told him they're on 2011 code and therefore it's required. He said "I know, but we don't require them"

Around here, it's usually a case where it's been done like that for so long that everybody just does it that way.

We have 14 dozen municipalities here in the KC metro area, and most people are like "over here they want this, over there they're looking for that"

I can't count the number of times one of my buddies will call me asking what they're looking for in a certain city. I'll ask what code cycle are they on, and said buddy never knows.

That's because there may be an official adoption, but sometimes it matters very little. They enforce or ignore whatever they want.

One inspector in Kansas City Kansas told me they don't require TR receptacles there. I told him they're on 2011 code and therefore it's required. He said "I know, but we don't require them"
Yeah I know I know..... We all like to think it's as easy as "ask the inspector for a code reference and if he can't provide it then don't do it", but I'd be one of the first to admit that it's typically not that easy. Some departments are really good about going by the letter of the code and in admitting they are wrong if that's not what the code says, others not so much.
Really what it comes down to is "what gets me the overall easiest time with my inspections". I had a project recently where we were not in compliance with some of the energy code stuff. The inspector didn't call me on it, so I thought it was worthwhile to do a few NEC things that he wanted that weren't technically required, because he seemed like the type who would "keep score" and find more stuff, if I challenge him. Another example, my inspector here in New York (private 3rd party) requires a few things that aren't actually code, but I do them to keep a good relationship because he lets me slide on certain stuff, doesn't require inspection of my ditches before backfill, etc. I scratch your back you scratch mine.

MattG0311

Occupation
Apprentice Wireman
No, pretty much how all panels in basements are done around here. I'm sure that you're method looks great. As you said post some photo's.
Here’s what I have thus far. If this was the sole panel for the home I think it would be tougher fitting all the branch circuits. With this setup feeding a subpanel on the other side of the house though, I have plenty of room in my risers. (Or so I think)

Attachments

• 34F9C994-5F55-48E3-9F05-98B887E91BD3.jpeg
    34F9C994-5F55-48E3-9F05-98B887E91BD3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
Here’s what I have thus far. If this was the sole panel for the home I think it would be tougher fitting all the branch circuits. With this setup feeding a subpanel on the other side of the house though, I have plenty of room in my risers. (Or so I think)
That looks like a very clean job! But how do you secure the nmb within 12" of the box now?

MattG0311

Occupation
Apprentice Wireman
I’m using 312.5C, Exemption No. 1.

I tried to take a picture of it in my code book, but it says the file size is too big or something for the server.

The basic gist is as long as you secure it within 1 ft of the end of the raceway, your good. There’s several other parts of the exception as well, but it’s all pretty easy stuff.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Looks like a tough spot between the joists to get in and staple each cable. Very nice and clean but I think that I would have opted for a backer board and stapled the cables to the wood.

34f9c994-5f55-48e3-9f05-98b887e91bd3-jpeg.2558188

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Did that panelboard enclosure have pre stamped KOs? Most have, so how did you get that many 1.5" KOs punched in as most to have that many prestamped ones in the top. And punching your own would likely lap other 1/2 or 3/4 KOs already present.

MattG0311

Occupation
Apprentice Wireman
Did that panelboard enclosure have pre stamped KOs? Most have, so how did you get that many 1.5" KOs punched in as most to have that many prestamped ones in the top. And punching your own would likely lap other 1/2 or 3/4 KOs already present.
I used a knockout set over the KOs, worked fine

MattG0311

Occupation
Apprentice Wireman
Looks like a tough spot between the joists to get in and staple each cable. Very nice and clean but I think that I would have opted for a backer board and stapled the cables to the wood.

34f9c994-5f55-48e3-9f05-98b887e91bd3-jpeg.2558188
Yeah it may get a little tough stapling. I may need a little running board out between the joists to give me a little more real estate. We will see how it turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies.