Backer board for service panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I’m using 312.5C, Exemption No. 1.
Does that comply with (2) "The raceway extends directly above the enclosure and does not penetrate a structural ceiling"?

Admittedly there is no ceiling now, but is the structural ceiling not the bottom of the joists, i.e. the structure onto which the ceiling material could be applied?

Cheers, Wayne

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
I’m using 312.5C, Exemption No. 1.

I tried to take a picture of it in my code book, but it says the file size is too big or something for the server.

The basic gist is as long as you secure it within 1 ft of the end of the raceway, your good. There’s several other parts of the exception as well, but it’s all pretty easy stuff.

Well, yeah, but that was kind of my point. It doesn't look like you have enough room to do that anymore. If this were a new install, you could run them up into the wall and end them at varying lengths, and you'd have plenty of space.

MattG0311

Occupation
Apprentice Wireman
Does that comply with (2) "The raceway extends directly above the enclosure and does not penetrate a structural ceiling"?

Admittedly there is no ceiling now, but is the structural ceiling not the bottom of the joists, i.e. the structure onto which the ceiling material could be applied?

Cheers, Wayne
It’s either being left open or drywalled. I made sure the homeowner knows he can drywall it, just needs to put a slide out in so there remains access to the end of the chases. I doubt it will be finished though. Pretty much just a utility room

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
It’s either being left open or drywalled. I made sure the homeowner knows he can drywall it, just needs to put a slide out in so there remains access to the end of the chases. I doubt it will be finished though. Pretty much just a utility room
If it's drywalled, I would think having the raceways extend above the drywall definitely means the installation does not meet condition 2 of 312.5C, Exemption No. 1.

Cheers, Wayne

MattG0311

Occupation
Apprentice Wireman
If it's drywalled, I would think having the raceways extend above the drywall definitely means the installation does not meet condition 2 of 312.5C, Exemption No. 1.

Cheers, Wayne
As long as accessibility is maintained it will be fine. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.