AUXILLARY GUTTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecdunn

WHERE IN THE CODE DOES IT SAY THE PROPER WAY TO ATTACH AN AUXILLARY GUTTER TO A MAIN PANEL. I HAVE AN 800 AMP MAIN PANEL WITH A 12x12 GUTTER ATTACHED AND THE SUB PANELS SETTING ON TOP OF THE GUTTER. I CUT A 10x10 HOLE THROUGH THE END OF THE GUTTER AND PANEL, BOLTED THE TWO TOGETHER AND PUT RUBBER MATERIAL ON THE EDGES TO PROTECT THE CONDUCTORS. THE INSPECTOR DOESN'T LIKE IT BUT CAN'T TELL WHERE IT IS IN VIOLATION.

G

Re: AUXILLARY GUTTERS

Sounds you need a 10" square chase nipple to finish it out. What code section did s/he site on the punch list?

../Wayne

PS: This is my first funny post. Please don't hate me :)

[ September 10, 2003, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

iwire

Staff member

Awwt, you are closer than you think to the answer.

You need a 12" x 12" trough flange where it connects to the main panel.

Think of it as a trough connector, but it provides a smooth transition from the trough to the panel.

Ask for it where you bought the trough, it should be a stock item.

How did you connect the sub panels to the trough?

As for a code article, he could get you with 366.10(C)

366.10 Construction and Installation.
(C) Smooth Rounded Edges. Suitable bushings, shields, or fittings having smooth, rounded edges shall be provided where conductors pass between gutters, through partitions, around bends, between gutters and cabinets or junction boxes, and at other locations where necessary to prevent abrasion of the insulation of the conductors.

[ September 10, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

racraft

When you type in all uppercase letters, it implies you are shouting. It is also harder to read. You should type in proper mixed case, or at least all lowercase.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.