Auxiliary Gutter U-Pull

Hey all. So, this has been driving me a little crazy.
I’m doing a service upgrade and the new gear is outside roughly 12” from the building. Now unfortunately, no underground was engineered save for the feeders from the new transformer. So I have RMC nipples sleeving through the wall from the MDP into an auxiliary gutter to branch out and hit all of the new panels in the building. I have 1/2” up to 2-1/2” and the largest conductors are 300’s.

It has been suggested that since I am coming into the back of the gutter -

(opposite a removable cover 314.28 (A)(2) Exception “where a raceway or cable entry is in the wall of a box or conduit body opposite a removable cover, the distance from that wall to the cover shall be permitted to comply with the distance required for one wire per terminal in table 312.6 (A).

- that the distance between raceway entries is based on that wire bending space for one wire per terminal.

Reading 314.28 (A)(2) tells me distance for raceway entries on angle or splices, I get it. However the exception seems to me to be talking more about sizing the depth of the gutter or box.

Coming into the back of this gutter, I’m still supposed to space raceways based on the size times 6 correct? Or because I am coming into the back of the gutter should the distance between raceways be less because of the exception and based on the size of the conductor.

I was given a 6”x6”x10’ gutter which adds to my dilemma.

I have been through the 2023 Handbook, Mike’s textbooks and videos from 2017 and 2011 as well as the NJATC Code Calc book.

Is the reason I can make sense of this because I was misinformed or am I just not getting it?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated in this matter.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The distance between raceway entries does need to be 6 times the raceway size for pulls but, if you are using Polaris taps I don't believe you you you would need to address anything jt bending radius.

(sidenote: This would actually be wireway not an auxiliary gutter)

Thanks, I was pretty sure the aforementioned suggestion was not correct. But wouldn’t it be a gutter since it’s an extension of the MDP/gear? All of the ILine breakers are
serving panels throughout the building.