Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS)

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKB1

New User
Occupation
Engineer
I want to install 1ea Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) and 4ea 100 Amp contactors to provide power switching to 4 different apartments (each with a different government mains supply) from a 100 KVA generator incase of power outage in my area. Is such an installation possible? if Yes, can someone help by proving a sketched wiring diagram for such an installation? Also please identify any additional components that are required for such an installation.

Thanks.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Better call an electrician to come look your situation over.
You can’t do it with one transfer switch without the meters spinning and costing you generator fuel plus being charged through the government meters, or worse yet, backfeeding the utility.

garbo

I want to install 1ea Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) and 4ea 100 Amp contactors to provide power switching to 4 different apartments (each with a different government mains supply) from a 100 KVA generator incase of power outage in my area. Is such an installation possible? if Yes, can someone help by proving a sketched wiring diagram for such an installation? Also please identify any additional components that are required for such an installation.

Thanks.
A 100

Thanks.
A 100 amp ATS appears to be undersized to feed 4 apartments. That is only 25 amps per unit. What exactly do you need to supply power to? Do any of the apartments have electric dryers, cooking, air conditing or electric water heaters? It would be helpful to get copies of customer electric bills. In my area they supply a graph of past years usage. Is the generator serving any other loads. If not you might want to look into a larger ATS.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sorry, but I feel that this needs someone with eyes on the total situation, as opposed to us playing 20 questions remotely. Please contact a licensed electrician with experience in applying backup power systems and ATS applications. There are several rules and regulations involved that may make a difference in how this is approached.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Help me out. You are working with:
4 -apartments on 100 amp services each?
1- 100 amp ATS?
1- 100KVA generator?
You want to Genset power to all four off of one 100amp ATS fed from a 100KVA generator?
Is this correct?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If the apartments are 100 amp each, the correct way would be to use a 100 amp transfer switch at each apartment service, with four separate 100 amp feeds with proper ocp from the generator. Generator main feeds the line side of four 100 amp disconnects. Makes things a whole lot simpler. I’ve done this on much larger 480 volt services, where tenant rented entire building, but building was split into six services. They wanted to be able to easily remove generator backup if they leased one or more sections of the building to someone else that didn’t require backup. Very large call center.

Status
Not open for further replies.