Article 517 question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Would a business offering Botox injections, lip injections, and the like be considered a health care facility subject to the requirements set by 517? Apparently there is a doctor on site providing services mentioned. Plans also label some of these rooms as treatment rooms. No where in the plans indicate this to be wired as 517? Being told by owner this isn’t considered as medical procedures. Haven’t run into this scenario before. Any help and interpretations appreciated . Thanks.

stonecutter

In article 517 definitions, I would consider this facility to be a health care facility where they perform procedures to patients. The procedures described are invasive to people. I would recommend it be wired per article 517.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Check with the architect/architectural plans (if there is one), check local building code definitions, and read 517 again to best determine occupancy type. I wouldn't take the word of the Owner. We had a couple jobs where the owner thought he knew better and we referenced the above to prove our point. Those types of offices get in gray areas.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As Rock suggest, check with the A/E and then maybe the agency over Health Care facilities. It's not an EC's position to make the call.

Roger

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
As Rock suggest, check with the A/E and then maybe the agency over Health Care facilities. It's not an EC's position to make the call.

Roger
I agree.

If this is a health care facility there are likely other codes that must be followed.

I donate blood (definitely an invasive procedure) at collections sites held in school gyms and church halls, none of which are wired per article 517.

synchro

Occupation
EE
So if injecting "one of the most poisonous biological substances known" is not a medical procedure, what is it?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Occupancy types are covered by NFPA 101. 70 is just implementation rules.
101 is just another NFPA standard, AIA design rules are what takes precedence and this is what will determine the occupancy of the building, it is not up to a trade to make the call.

Roger

Greentagger

Occupation
Thanks for all the answers guys. Come to find out there was a revised set of prints that never got to the electrician. There were areas designated as patient care spaces per 517.

Greentagger

Occupation
ESS required in Categories 1&2. This would be designated as Category 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.