Article 210-52(a)(1) Outlet Spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ca_c10

Am I reading this code correctly, an outlet every 6 foot on the horizontal run? I have just recovered from a two year ladder accident and I was reading this section(in shock-no pun intended). What happened to the 6'-12' rule?

charlie

Re: Article 210-52(a)(1) Outlet Spacing

210.52(A)(1) Spacing. Receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8 m (6 ft) from a receptacle outlet. :D

friebel

To: ca_c10, when you mentioned, "what happened to the 6 foot, 12 foot rule". Nothing has happened.
If you stand at a spot on a wall space, and to your left you put a receptacle 6 feet from you, and to your right you have a receptacle 6 feet from you. So their is 12 feet from receptacle to receptacle,but from where you are standing, the distance will only be 6 feet to a receptacle.

regards, bob

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I think it is somewhat common for people to misread the 6' distance as a 6' spacing. I think it also happens with countertop receptacles where a 2' distance actually implies a 4' spacing.

Steve

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

I tell them "touch the wall". From that point an outlet(rept)must be within 6'. And I stretch my arms.

2' on a counter top.

Mike P.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Ok so what about a room that has what I woulkd call a hall,what it is is a barell arch walk through that is part of a room but not really,as far as I am concerned it is a hall,a means to enter a room by ways of another room but the inspector says it is usable wall space and needs a receptacle BTW it is over 24 in. that is what he cites :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.