Art 500 and Propane dispensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

I am doing a demo at the former location of a propane distrubitor. You know, one of those places with the tall tank out front, where they fill your cylinders. Suffice to say, I've taken lots of pics!

Anyway, propane seems, to me, to be treated similar to, say, a gas station. Please review some of the thing's I've found, and let me know if you agree that this guy was tempting fate:

On the building is an emergency disconnect. Fresh out of the enclosure is the seal.... which is connected to EMT, then PVC as the line enters the ground. I would think everything between seals needed to be rigid (or PVC if 24" underground).

At the dispenser is a nice, rated switch mounted about 6 ft, up. Next to is is another switch. This second switch is attached to a seal. Switch is a typical push-button, mounted on a "Bell" box. I would think that, even if low voltage (which I don't yet know), this ought to be rated as well.

The dispensing are is lit by a MV 'cheapo' HID light, about 10ft up. Immediately behind this light is the seal. I would think any light below 12ft needed to be rated.

Thoughts, anyone?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
renosteinke said:
On the building is an emergency disconnect. Fresh out of the enclosure is the seal.... which is connected to EMT, then PVC as the line enters the ground. I would think everything between seals needed to be rigid (or PVC if 24" underground).

Is the building you refer to where the power is fed from? If so it is in an unclassified area and probably does not need a seal at all. Maybe it is there to block off condensation from entering the underground portion.

You would need a seal coming out of the ground into the classified area, and that piece of conduit needs to be RGC or IMC.

renosteinke said:
At the dispenser is a nice, rated switch mounted about 6 ft, up. Next to is is another switch. This second switch is attached to a seal. Switch is a typical push-button, mounted on a "Bell" box. I would think that, even if low voltage (which I don't yet know), this ought to be rated as well.
I am kind of assuming you mean C1D1 when you say "rated". It may be that some of the area is actually classified as C1D2 and the switch is hermetically sealed.

Could be an IS circuit. It does not matter if it is low voltage or not.

renosteinke said:
The dispensing are is lit by a MV 'cheapo' HID light, about 10ft up. Immediately behind this light is the seal. I would think any light below 12ft needed to be rated.

Thoughts, anyone?

I don't have my code book but maybe 10 feet is acceptable. I am not sure there is a specific requirement in the code for a propane dispenser. I would be inclined to look for whatever documentation there is for the thing and see what it says.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I want to emphasize the requirement to properly document the electrical area classification of a location before dealing with an installation. [500.4(A)] When this is done first, many issues may not go away, but dealing with them becomes fairly straight forward rather than guessing and speculating.

Bulk quantities of propane would normally fall under Art 515. Propane is heavier than air but it is nevertheless a relatively light gas so it has a tendency to "cloud" around potential sources, like the fill port and vents. It also collects in low points. Some of the worst ?real life? explosions have been caused with propane. (Apologies to Hank Hill)

I recommend reviewing Art 515 and reevaluating your analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.