Area classification near diesel fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

abillings

I'm working on the design of a fueling station for the Army which will dispense either diesel fuel or JP-8 from a tank enclosed in a standard shipping container. All venting will be done through the container's wall and the container will be open at both ends during use. If I understand NFPA 30A correctly, the system can be designated as a remote site tank per chapter 13, the fuels are class II and electrical installations for lights in the container shall not cause the area around the tank to be designated as a hazardous location (chapter 8, 8.3.6).
Is my understanding correct or does this violate the NEC codes thereby requiring explosion proof lights and conduit? Thanks in advance.

Alan

peter d

Re: Area classification near diesel fuel

Diesel fuel dispensing equipment does not require hazardous location wiring methods.

Edit to add methods

[ January 26, 2005, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: peter d ]

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

I must confess I wasn't familiar with JP-8 so I checked it's MSDS from one of it's major manufacturers.

It's Flashpoint puts it right on the edge of a Class II combustible liquid; however its narrow Flammability limits would indicate a fairly small Classified Location - something probably on the order of 5-10' from any potential sources.

Check Sections 5, 6 and 7 of the referenced MSDS.

Edit added "Section 5."

[ January 26, 2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

renosteinke

Also important is the intended use of the area...if for trucks, there is little requires in the way of classified equipment; if for aircraft, everything gets to be boom-proof. Same fuel, different rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.