Are exit lights required at each door in a large warehou

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradb

We have a design build commercial project with 5 exit doors in a warehouse area. The GC has installed stoops and not exit ramps at these exits which the building inspector say if an exit light is shown than a handicap ramps must be installed. We installed exit lights at each one of these doors and are being questioned if they are "all" needed. Can u help?

ryan_618

Re: Are exit lights required at each door in a large warehou

There really isn't enough information to answer your question. Exit lighting is a function of ocupancy type, occupant load factor, travel distance and common path of egress travel distance, to name a few.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I think the issue is not whether you need the exits but whether if you put up a lighted exit sign you are required to make that exit handicapped accessable.

I seem to recall a similar question came up on a building some equipment I worked on went in. Their solution was to remove the exit sign from an exit that was not handicapped accessable, even though as I recall it was the most convenient exit from the room. No steps, just something about having insufficient clearance from a valve that stuck out a couple inches above the sidewalk. Don't recall the exact details.

ryan_618

50% of the required means of egress need to be accessible. This has nothing to do with exit signs, however.

drwill

I belive that you need to reference NFPA 101 (life safty code) to find your answer.

ken987

Off the top of my head it seems that electricans need to know a least 4 different codes nfpa 70, 72, 101 and building code, related to fire. I've only been in this trade 5 yrs but, it seems one really has to say on the go and always be reading and learning. It's not enough to know how to wire that smoke detector, or exit sign, but how and where to put them and how to stop fire from going through the wall you pentrated.

highkvoltage

In your area where you live you don't have to have approved prints for the electrical system? Here for a building that size we would have approved prints which would eliminate guessing or argueing with the GC whether it is needed or not.

ryan_618

The NFPA 101 might not (probably not) be adopted in your state. The building code will be the document that applies.

russ

This seems to be an ADA question.
There has to be at least one ADA accessible entrance/exit. If there are stairs involved at other exits the signs could say stairway.

Status
Not open for further replies.