Arc Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleveland

I have been to one seminar about arc flash and have been approached by one large electical equipment supplier about having an in-house program on this matter. Great. The one question I have is: Are we presently required By OSHA to meet all requirements in 70E? I'm not looking to get out of anything, safety is very important. It is just that the "large electrical equipment supplier" said "hey, this is coming at you... you're going to be required to meet it so you'd better get some plan of action in place" Now that made it sound like it isn't yet a requirement. Is OSHA getting ready to re-issue some Standards? The reason I ask is that my employer is not of the mind to do anymore than meet minimum. They happily do this when told but they want to see the requirement. Thanks for your time.

dweisbrod

Re: Arc Flash

From a code standpoint - if you do live work, including inspection of live parts, you must post the hazard level on the associated equipment - period.

Osha - and other AHJ's - are still gearing up to enforce this issue, but its been in the code for some time.

You should keep in mind that - though you may not be at risk of an active inspection, you are "hanging in the wind" if you experience a fault with injuries.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Arc Flash

The OSHA electrical safety requirements are NFPA 70E. OSHA has the electrical safety requirements in 70E as it is revised by a panel and is easier to keep current. this is explained in the forward to 70E.

Status
Not open for further replies.