Arc Flash Protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering about Arc Flash protection.Acording to Nec.110.16 does all panels control panels etc.need to be marked with Arc flash warning label in an Industrial facility.Also While trouble shooting control panels on industrial equip./ machines fed.via 480 Volts what rules apply as far as Arc Flash protection.I am still a little confused.I had an NEC course in 1999 but this was not discussed back then. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

ron

Re: Arc Flash Protection.

The NEC requires a sign stating that there is an arc flash hazard for all equipment. There is not NEC requirmeent to perform any calculations or wear any particular clothing. If NFPA 70E is used by your employer or municipality, then you will have to perform a calculation and wear certain clothing while working on equipment.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

deltaoverride: you need to get the following-
Copy of NFPA 70E to explain the arc flash requirements and clothing
The 2005 NEC may add a requirement to label the arc flash energy in "calories".
I have already see flame redardant clothing sold as 12 Calorie, etc.
Perhaps Charlie B can explain how a calorie is measured, as its not the same as a food calorie.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by tom baker:Perhaps Charlie B can explain how a calorie is measured, as its not the same as a food calorie.
I appreciate the vote of confidence. First of all, let?s not talk about food yet (I?ve just finished lunch :D as I type this response contains about 40 calories (I mean Calories), which equates to approximately 160,000 Joules.

[ October 22, 2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: charlie b ]

big jim

But, strangely enough, putting that much energy in you body will likely make you want to do less work.

Status
Not open for further replies.