ARC FAULT INTERUPTER CKT BRKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyi

Re: ARC FAULT INTERUPTER CKT BRKS.

The short answer without writing a book :) :

[This applies to residential, commercial/industrial GFCI use can be a somewhat different issue]

A GFCI's primary purpose is to try and prevent PEOPLE from getting lethal shocks (although in some applications it can also trip when certain wiring problems develop on aging systems)

A AFCI's primary purpose is to try and prevent certain types of electrically started fires.

Some breaker manufacturers are making units that combine both protections into one breaker.

charlie

There are also several different types of AFCIs, including a receptacle type (no one is making one yet). I think in the long run, they will save more lives than the GFCIs have or ever will. :D

tonyi

Originally posted by charlie:
There are also several different types of AFCIs, including a receptacle type (no one is making one yet). I think in the long run, they will save more lives than the GFCIs have or ever will. :D
One things we can never never really know about any of this is the real number of genuine "saves". I suppose we could compare electrocutions per capita 40 years ago with today, but its hard to say what percentage of reduction is GFCI use or something else, like the general phasing out of metal cased tools for plastic and double insulating. The user also can just reset a GFCI after the danger passes, so trips don't make the the news much. The AFCI would continue to trip after user reset and presumably result in a service call.

It would be cool if there were some sort of central clearing house for AFCI trip reports that we could enter a situation description into. I bet UL and CPSC might be interested in what sort of stuff is causing the problems. Now, bogus stuff has to go bad almost to the disaster level and cause injuries or catch fire before it hits the radar scope...and even then I'm not sure UL really gives a hoot - they're still allowing backstabs and everyone KNOWS they're going to fail. They approve some attrocious crap I wouldn't wire a doghouse with. CPSC seems a bit more responsible...

Status
Not open for further replies.