arc fault/dual function breaker tripping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry, but this 'signal' sounds like more manufacturers propaganda Kwired

~RJ~
Why does a GFCI trip immediately if you touch load side neutral to ground even when there is no load connected at the time?

Basic concept of GFCI operations should not trip until there is current but they will trip every time you touch unloaded neutral to ground.

Seem to be having difficulty finding information on this, probably just using wrong key words in the search, but did find this:

1590933601476.png

They call it neutral to ground fault detection but it would also allow it to detect a fault on the "phase conductor" to another same "phase conductor" in about the same manner.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Why does a GFCI trip immediately if you touch load side neutral to ground even when there is no load connected at the time?

Basic concept of GFCI operations should not trip until there is current but they will trip every time you touch unloaded neutral to ground.

Seem to be having difficulty finding information on this, probably just using wrong key words in the search, but did find this:

View attachment 2552556

They call it neutral to ground fault detection but it would also allow it to detect a fault on the "phase conductor" to another same "phase conductor" in about the same manner.
I would think the neutral/ground detection would work seperately from the ground fault circuit, and use a very small amount of current just like an ohmmeter circuit to detect the connection.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I would think the neutral/ground detection would work seperately from the ground fault circuit, and use a very small amount of current just like an ohmmeter circuit to detect the connection.
That is what I thought, too. I was using my Fluke on the the milliamperes range, neutral to EG, to see at what level they would trip. Most peaked at 4-6 ma. Between Gar and Kwire they got thru my thick skull that I was short circuiting the detection circuit via my meter and I was lucky I hadn’t damaged the meter. Fluke fusing is good. It blew first.

kwired

Electron manager
Look at drawing I posted. Injected volts is via a CT just in reverse mode from what the detection CT is.

Short the output neutral to ground and the circuit loop goes back through neutral/ground bonding point and back to the GFCI via the input neutral. Same CT that is providing normal current differential detection sees current from this second source flowing one way but not the other so no canceling of magnetic fields and initiates the trip process.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

Probably because there's always a dif betwixt N&G ,and more so with distance to the serving Xformer w/ VD
Juxtaposed to not much dif betwixt 5 and 30 millionths of an amp
~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
Probably because there's always a dif betwixt N&G ,and more so with distance to the serving Xformer w/ VD
Juxtaposed to not much dif betwixt 5 and 30 millionths of an amp
~RJ~
Install a temp service for construction with a GFCI receptacle adjacent to the service disconnect. No loads in use, neutral and ground are only couple feet maximum length to the main bonding jumper. Short load side of GFCI neutral to ground, GFCI trips. Where is current coming from to drive this?There is no voltage between N & G if there is no current on either one of them.

With the detection accessory I posted you do have a separate voltage source and circuit is completed by connecting load side N to G.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Did find this

Neutral to ground detection starts about middle and goes most the way to the end of the article.
February 23 2018 By Lee Teschler said:
..The standard (UL 943) specifies that GFCIs trip with fault currents of 6 mA for specified ground fault resistances and for a specified combination of ground to neutral resistance and wire resistance between load/neutral and earth ground. In UL tests, the resistance of the combination of grounded and grounding conductors of the cable or cord are quite low, 0.4 and 1.6Ω at most.

Yes, I see Kwired reference it testable. Empirical evidence (Observation) appears to confirm Teschler's interpretation of UL 943 test requirements.

The problem is this can't be observed with typical testers in the field. While low-impedance solenoid testers are commonly used by Qualified Persons to trip a live GFCI when probed H-G, trying to probe N-G fails to trip in the same manner.

Qualified Persons may naturally assume, since their tools don't confirm it, the Retro Encabulator's modial interaction of magneto reluctance and capacitive duractance, or some other BS is being sold by internet-trolling carpet baggers.

Qualified Persons wearing proper PPE would need to employ a shorting probe / wire across device N-G, since few solenoid testers, much less standard multi-meters are designed with internal impedance less than 1.6Ω, per Kwired reference to Teschler and the UL 943 standard.

This is also noteable for most AFCI breakers observed with a similar function. N-G probes trip most AFCI's with high-impedance multi-meters, or just by placing Neutral and Grounding conductor in the same hand, with Hot capped off, and switch leg turned off. Wolfram Alpha lists the resistance of a typical human body as 2300Ω to 201kΩ with dry skin. If the UL 1699 standard for AFCI's has a similar test function to trip N-G, I'd guestimate the trigger-happy impedance would be somewhere in that range or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.