Arc-Fault breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a problem with double 15 amp branch circuit breaker that culter hammer makes. Evertime the inspector test (trips) the receptacles. The inspector goes into the basement to re-set the breakers and the re-set is always stuck (yellow). Whats the problem??? Defect? Does anyone know what arc-fault breaker is trouble free? I know that hammer has a warranty issue if I were to used a different kind I breaker (maker)

hurk27

Re: Arc-Fault breakers

Tony
I think we will see problems with all brands for a while as any new technology, there will be some bugs to work out. one thing that is for sure if it wern't for our expeirance with the GFCI we all would be hurting with AFCI's right now as they tought us some valuble lessons. But we use ITE's and we have had some problems with them as the first series that were released had thermo problems and the were very senitive to spikes and would trip at less than 5ma to ground. but ITE have since released a new version that has fixted some of the problems but now we are having problems with the test button as it dosn't work on every one of them as it seems not to be far enough out to beable to push it in. so I guess it's would be good to get some input from some of the others to see if they are having simular problems with other brands.

ty

Tony, Cutler Hammer is always trying to improve their product and I think I've seen 5 different versions of their AFCI type "CH" breaker ,and have installed them all. We honestly haven't had one problem with any of them.
The only time we had one tripping was an installation error wheras the installer had a white fixture wire pinched between the fixture and the strap. The AFCI did it's job.
I've also never seen the yellow reset get stuck.
That's my feed back, but I'm sure do to get a bad one.
A little known fact is that Cutler Hammer "CH" breakers are guaranteed for life.

tonyi

BR or CH type?

I had one BR fail after about 6 month in service. Something went bad with the mechanical aspect of the trip mechanism and it obviously felt "funny".

The BR's need to be fully returned to OFF position before reseting (is a mid-trip type design), the CH's can simply be turned back on.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

We have been having alot of issues with afci`s.Nusiance trips and such,but this week i saw a sq. D homeline 15 a afci circuit when tested with a plug tester or a fluke voltage meter was fine.Plug anything in on the circuit and put the slightest load on it and it would trip.Changed breaker and problem solved.AFCI`s might have their advantages but they have issues the manufacturers need to address

Status
Not open for further replies.