Aquascape pond pump problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

patricknola

Electrical contractor/Generac Dealer
Occupation
Electrical contractor.
I have a customer(my sister) who has an Aquascape submersible pond pump that keeps tripping the GFCI it is plugged in to. I have tried plugging it into other receptacles and it continues to trip the GFCI. Can these pumps be opened so I can take a look at it? My brother in law is concerned that once it is opened it will not be waterproof.

user 100

I have a customer(my sister) who has an Aquascape submersible pond pump that keeps tripping the GFCI it is plugged in to. I have tried plugging it into other receptacles and it continues to trip the GFCI. Can these pumps be opened so I can take a look at it? My brother in law is concerned that once it is opened it will not be waterproof.

Does it work in those other (standard) receptacles?

John120/240

I don't believe pumps like you describe are serviceable. If it trips the GFCI, maybe try the pump in a different GFCI for verification, & it still trips I'd say the pump is done.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Yes, you can open them up. It's likely the seals are failing. You can get new seals but unless you are doing the work as a favour your better off replacing the pump.

user 100

No matter what receptacle, whether GFI or regular, I plug the pump into it trips a breaker.

The pump is probably toast, but I've got ask: Are you using an extension cord ( very common to feed pumps in some areas) and if so, what condition is the cord in?

kwired

Electron manager
If it is an inexpensive pump, buy a new one if it is a higher priced pump, may be worth replacing seals if that is what has failed. If you won't or don't want to take on that challenge have them take it to a motor repair shop.

patricknola

Electrical contractor/Generac Dealer
Occupation
Electrical contractor.
Aquascape pump

Aquascape pump

My brother in law had the pump plugged in successfully with an extension cord, but when I unplugged it to check the GFI it would not work again. The pump has been giving him trouble.

user 100

My brother in law had the pump plugged in successfully with an extension cord, but when I unplugged it to check the GFI it would not work again. The pump has been giving him trouble.

I'm interpreting you as saying the pump won't work at all now even when the ext cord is omitted and if thats the case then the pump has indeed met its maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.