Appropriate Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Right, regardless the statement of the questions, I mentioned the only cases that is established the colors for electrical conductors

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
And in the two old facilities I work in with 120/240 delta, the high leg is C. Marked red in one site, orange in the other.
Yes, the high leg must be “C” in the metering equipment for the meter to work correctly, but is supposed to move to “B” in the service equipment. I have seen several that were done that way too. The reasoning being, if looking at a switchboard front or rear, (freestanding type) the center bussbar is always the high leg.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Right, regardless the statement of the questions, I mentioned the only cases that is established the colors for electrical conductors
The question was not asking about code or some formal established rule, it was only asking about an industry standard. Once again was this part of a training class?

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Proves a point... but by NEC, you can't use C phase for the highleg... which, is idiotic to me considering at the meter C phase is the high leg, but in the panel it needs to be B. who thought that was a good idea?? (Not related to this post)
Because from an electrical rotation point of view the high leg has always been B phase. It was just required to be landed in the right hand position in the metering equipment so that the meter would work correctly.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
He told me the questions was a part of a questionnaire for hiring purposes.
By the way in 110.15 have been established "orange for high leg or by other effective means", what that mean other effective means?I think would be better and less confuse orange period. This another polemic redaction in the text

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Other effective means can be word tags, numbers, letters, etc.....

Roger

Russs57

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
As long as we are drifting some.....how come rotation meters are red, white, and blue? I doubt it is a patriotic thing. I was told one explanation but I'd like to hear what others say first before I divulge.

Status
Not open for further replies.