Appropriate Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
This's the question:
In the industrial standard for 277/480v the color for phase B is orange.
True or False.

I know the only colors the NEC defines for electrical conductors are green (grounding conductors),white or white w/colors stripes (grounded conductors) and orange for high leg conductors in 120/240v in delta systems when the midpoint of winding is grounded.
I think in my opinion the right answer would be False. First, there's no exits standard for color code in electrical industry where the B phase certainly can be orange, but can be purple as well, even could be another color in the case the AHJ define according to local code or certain circunstances. Second, the color for ungrounded conductors obey to tradition and finally the use of the term "standard" is very confuse, meaning for me the common use, some criteria or established for some authority that mean code.
I'm very appreciate with other inputs to clarify this.
Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It's a lame question unless there is some study material that leads up to this. With that said, the industry norm although not formal is BOY for 277/480 volt systems.

Roger

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
I'm agree roger, but I think the better term to refer the color in that question should be "the common use" for phase B is orange, beyond the use the term norm or standard. In my opinion

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I never understood why BOY became a standard. IMO, the high leg should be a color that isn't used for anything else in the nec-- same as a green for ground. Make orange for high leg and not for phase B or wherever on a Wye.

Why was it done this way?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I never understood why BOY became a standard. IMO, the high leg should be a color that isn't used for anything else in the nec-- same as a green for ground. Make orange for high leg and not for phase B or wherever on a Wye.

Years ago I remember high legs were Blue and Red in some of the places I worked. If I go into a facility for additions I use the color already established.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm agree roger, but I think the better term to refer the color in that question should be "the common use" for phase B is orange, beyond the use the term norm or standard. In my opinion

Orange is used in a few article sections and BOY is mandatory in article 517.160. They added a stripe in 2011 (I think that was it) so it would be less likely to be confused with the standard BOY in 277/480 circuits. That was pretty much stupid since it would be doubtful some unknowing electrician would be working in an OR, Triage, CT scan, etc... areas and not know what was going on.

Roger

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

BOY became the standard because previously it was YBP, purple was hard to distinguish in low light conditions, so it was changed to orange in most places. (I have heard Texas still uses YBP, but cannot verify) I believe it was changed in the late 70’s or early 80’s.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
IMO, the question would be False as well. Without a reference to a specific standard, there is no reason why they couldn't have C phase as orange.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Right, in health care facilities the colors are boy only in the case of rooms with Isolated System, like OR, but nothing determine that we can have another set of colors for 277/480v no matter type of facilities

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Must be a regional thing, never seen the high leg any other than Orange, unless by mistake.
110.15 was introduced in the 2002 cycle. I remember the other colors in my early days back into the mid seventies.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Right, in health care facilities the colors are boy only in the case of rooms with Isolated System, like OR, but nothing determine that we can have another set of colors for 277/480v no matter type of facilities
In your first post the question was "what was standard" not if other colors could be used or not. Was the test part of a course you have been taking?

Roger

Rock86

Occupation
This Post is just regarding B phase in a 277/480V system... Why is everyone jumping to high leg systems?

Rock86

Occupation
And in the two old facilities I work in with 120/240 delta, the high leg is C. Marked red in one site, orange in the other.
Proves a point... but by NEC, you can't use C phase for the highleg... which, is idiotic to me considering at the meter C phase is the high leg, but in the panel it needs to be B. who thought that was a good idea?? (Not related to this post)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This Post is just regarding B phase in a 277/480V system... Why is everyone jumping to high leg systems?

Exactly my point.... The op specifically mention orange as the "B" phase so immediately I think of high leg.... It may not be what the op was asking but I was thinking why did they use Orange for high leg when it was used in a wye system already

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Some coworker send me that question he got in some practice test. My input is about that in 277/480v system the orange color for B phase isn't determine for any norm or standard, like the question pretends to institute like a law, and could be another color also.
They're some questions that shouldn't be in any test, because confuse more than help, especially for those who want to start his careers in the electrical industry

Status
Not open for further replies.