Anti islanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I don’t have a copy of the IEEE governing anti-islanding..
my question is testing. I will pull the power to make sure the inverter shuts off in less than 2 seconds. When I restore power I will time the inverter to see when production restarts. 5 minutes is my pass time.

What, or is there, a cutoff for the 5 minute to resume production test.
I’ve heard that all PV less than 10kW doesn’t have to meet this requirement, but I can’t seem to find any information on it.
IEEE 1548.1?
UL 1741?
I had a small (4.5kW) system with string inverters and they resumed production almost immediately.

BandGap1.1eV

These startup timers can be bypassed by a savy technician. If your in the field troubleshooting an inverter, waiting 5 minutes each time the AC is cycled is a waste of time. Reach out to the inverter manufacturer for the field service tech password and instructions how to reset the timer.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
These startup timers can be bypassed by a savy technician. If your in the field troubleshooting an inverter, waiting 5 minutes each time the AC is cycled is a waste of time. Reach out to the inverter manufacturer for the field service tech password and instructions how to reset the timer.
I don’t want to bypass anything. I’m a utility field engineer doing an anti-islanding test for grid tie solar. My testing determines if we allow the system to be grid tied or not..

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
What, or is there, a cutoff for the 5 minute to resume production test.
I’ve heard that all PV less than 10kW doesn’t have to meet this requirement, but I can’t seem to find any information on it.
IEEE 1547.1?
UL 1741?
I had a small (4.5kW) system with string inverters and they resumed production almost immediately.

I think you meant IEEE 1547 (typo?).

But yeah, that and/or UL 1741.

To know more you'd have to read those actual standards, which I've not done.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I think you meant IEEE 1547 (typo?).

But yeah, that and/or UL 1741.

To know more you'd have to read those actual standards, which I've not done.
From what I understand 1547.1 is testing.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I’m curious to any changes that were made to the 2020.
668A6E85-3103-4DFE-8D45-A8FD905DE7BB.jpeg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You can read all of the UL Standards online for free after registering. It would much like the free viewing of the NFPA standards and like the NFPA, not very user friendly.
Search their site for the standard and then click on "digital viewing"

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Well...
Bought the 1547.1 testing standard. $197.00
Guess what... It references the 1547-2018.
What a crappy way to get another $197 for a .PDF

IEEE is worse than NEC for charges..

pv_n00b

You just need to understand how the standards work and what they provide. IEEE 1547 has many parts and provides the requirements of the standard, 1547.1 specifically provides the testing procedure to determine if the equipment complies with the standard, UL 1741 implements the testing so that NRTLs can use it to test the actual equipment. The NEC requires that specific PV equipment be listed. It's a chain of documents and to completely follow along you have to have to collect them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.