antenna installation in Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgmanne

I am almost through with a remodel job to my residence that includes running low voltage cable. None of the general contractor, his electrician or the guys I hired to run the low voltage cable seem to have a clue about grounding the antenna mast and antennas that I am ready to put up. For example, they have run the antenna cable to the fireplace chimney, but it is at least a 50 foot run across the roof from that location to the ground rod at the electrical service. Everything that I am reading on the this website and elsewhere on the net suggests that the antenna mast should be as close as possible to the ground rod -- 20 feet or less if at all possible. The general contractor and the cable guys just shrug their shoulders and say I should pass it off to the electician. The general contractor's electrician says that distance is not an issue and that he will drop another ground rod. I do not want to do this myself, but I want to have some confidence that the person making there decisions and doing the work has a clue. Please contact me if you are an electrician or other qualified antenna installer in the Houston Texas area that can put up and properly ground antennas and their cables. email is my member name @manneguill.com

[ December 21, 2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: bgmanne ]

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: antenna installation in Houston

Hmmm, well Burton, you say that you are a general contractor but you really are an PI attorney. What's the deal? We value honesty here.

-Hal

bgmanne

Lets see.... It is impossible to register as a user on this forum without labeling yourself as one of the available choices. I could have easily used a bs hotmail address if I wanted to hide my identity from the group. The body of my post says that I am involved in remodeling my residence. I have directly hired the people that have or will paint, refinish the hardwood floors, build an entertainment center, pull low voltage cable, do landscaping and a few other smaller items. Although I have hired somemone calling himself a general contractor to deal with some other tasks, it sure feels like it is all falling on me to make sure it is done correctly! It sure feels like I have all of the respoonsibility of the general contractor. More to the point, it is the best choice of the available descriptions to describe my interest in this site. Whatever. I am not looking for an expert witness. I am not playing a game. I am just looking for someone to come to my house and take my money for helping me put up my television and FM Yagi antennas.

[ December 22, 2004, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: bgmanne ]

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Ok, fair enough.

Don't know what to tell you about your problem though. I would be glad to help you but I am in NY. 20 or 25 years ago all we did was antennas and commercial master systems. I'm afraid antennas are going the way of the buggy whip due to cable and satellite. Good quality antennas aren't readily available anymore and antenna installers are pretty much non existant.

That said, if a Yellow Pages search doesn't turn up anything for antennas and installations you might try the satellite installation guys. You might find one that is willing to help you out.

As for grounding I doubt that any antenna or sat guy is going to know how to do it properly. Your best bet for grounding is your electrical contractor. Yours is correct in suggesting that a supplemental ground rod be driven below the antennas then bonding it back to the service grounding electrode, very preferably outside the house.

This has all been beaten to death in these forums and it sounds like you were able to search most of it. You might suggest to your EC that if he has any questions to ask us here. We'll be glad to clarify anything he is not clear on.

-Hal

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Keep in mind if the antenna or cable tv is installed wrong its the electrician who gets the violation, not the "cable guy".

Status
Not open for further replies.