Antenna Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay622

I have been arguing with another tech about grounding of an antenna. Be it a TV antenna or a DSS. Is it execeptable to ground to a copper water pipe? If you can supply code# and any other information please do. But a real (yes/No) is the best answer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Antenna Grounding

The short answer is yes, but there are a list of conditions that also must be met in the grounding of what the code calls 'Receiving Stations' These are located in 810.21.

810.21(F)(1)b. deals with a grounding connection within 5' feet from the point of entrance of a grounded interior metal water pipe.

hess

Re: Antenna Grounding

well i know what the code says. so this is all my opinion, i think it ought to be illegal to run a bond from a antenna or dish through a structure to the service disconnect because all you are doing during a lightening strike is directing lightening into the structure. it ought to be brought from the dish or antenna and run straight to a ground rod, not through the structure, then around the outside of the structure to be bonded to the service.
remember this is just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.