An old idiot with plastic boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Haven't done much residential lately but now that I retired I am do a few residential job for friends etc. You know the good paying jobs LOL.

I get frustrated with the plastic boxes with clamps. I used to like the old fiberglass boxes punch the hole out with a screwdriver strip the romex and jam it in and staple it .....done. The plastic boxes with clamps always frustrate me, pry the clam with a screwdriver, strip the romex and try poking it in. One wire always goes down the side of the clamp and gets wedged into the side of the clamp. Just seems difficult to get the dam cable in the box. Seems so simple I feel like a dope.

Maybe its my arthritis and my fingers don't work as good as they used to I admit. My latest trick is to pull on the rib on the clamp from inside the box which helps a little.

What's the trick? What am i missing?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I use strippers that also cuts the sheath of the NM cable. It has slots for 14-2 and 12-2. You place the cable in the correct slot for the size you're using. If cuts the sheath without cutting the conductors. You then just pull off the sheath. What I do on plastic boxes is I cut the sheath but don't pull it off. Then you can stick the NM through the clamp and there are no loose wires to catch on the clamp. After it's in the box you just grab the sheath and pull it off. BAM!

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Just from my experience, you're almost always going to get jammed up with plastic boxes if you pre strip the sheath. I pull the cable in then strip the sheath. Got one of those tools that @Little Bill mentioned works real nice. The one I've got has the NM cutter on the horizontal to the pliers so it will go into the box and nip that sheath. Found it works wonders on that nasty UF too.
A lot of the time need to pre "pop" the tab so you can push the cable in as the tab seems to be not scored through to push a #12 in let alone anything smaller.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Just from my experience, you're almost always going to get jammed up with plastic boxes if you pre strip the sheath. I pull the cable in then strip the sheath. Got one of those tools that @Little Bill mentioned works real nice. The one I've got has the NM cutter on the horizontal to the pliers so it will go into the box and nip that sheath. Found it works wonders on that nasty UF too.
A lot of the time need to pre "pop" the tab so you can push the cable in as the tab seems to be not scored through to push a #12 in let alone anything smaller.

Do you know the brand of the strippers you have??

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Haven't done much residential lately but now that I retired I am do a few residential job for friends etc. You know the good paying jobs LOL.

I get frustrated with the plastic boxes with clamps. I used to like the old fiberglass boxes punch the hole out with a screwdriver strip the romex and jam it in and staple it .....done. The plastic boxes with clamps always frustrate me, pry the clam with a screwdriver, strip the romex and try poking it in. One wire always goes down the side of the clamp and gets wedged into the side of the clamp. Just seems difficult to get the dam cable in the box. Seems so simple I feel like a dope.

Maybe its my arthritis and my fingers don't work as good as they used to I admit. My latest trick is to pull on the rib on the clamp from inside the box which helps a little.

What's the trick? What am i missing?
The trick is to burn down the factory where that plastic junk is made. Just kidding, but really. Those things suck

Fiberglass all the way.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Have you used these? I read reviews saying they were difficult to use if there were more than two cables in the box. Claiming it's hard to avoid clamping down on the wrong cable.
I've seen people use the straight Romex stripper, and can't get it far enough into the back of the box. I'd imagine these might be a bit better than those straight ones.

I still prefer to staple to the box wire wires hanging out, then strip before inserting. I leave only about 3/8" of sheathing in the box that way, and makeup ends up much cleaner

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've seen people use the straight Romex stripper, and can't get it far enough into the back of the box. I'd imagine these might be a bit better than those straight ones.

I still prefer to staple to the box wire wires hanging out, then strip before inserting. I leave only about 3/8" of sheathing in the box that way, and makeup ends up much cleaner
I have no doubt they would reach further in the box with the stripper on the end.
However,the claim was that since the two slots for stripping the sheath are on each side of the strippers, that makes the tool very wide for a crowded box. If trying to place the strippers on a cable they inadvertently catch another cable with the other side of the strippers.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have a Klein knife that is meant for NM, it has a blade surrounded by a U hook, it goes deep in the box and slits the jacket, then the jacket is cut with side cutters.
PVC boxes are OK but if new construction you don't need a clamp in the box if stapled within 8"
Fiberglass boxes are more expensive than PVC...the newer FG boxes have a plastic piece that slips inside the box to hold the wire, but at a 90 degree angle the ones I started with had metal clamp inside
I may try the new southwire cutters

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In Washington if you are an electrician, you can help out family, friends etc without being an electrical contractor, but you are not allowed to be paid.
When someone calls and asks if I can add a circuit, my answer is "I are not allowed to be paid, and I know you don't want me to work for free".
Now when my granddaughters family calls that work gets done

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Have you used these? I read reviews saying they were difficult to use if there were more than two cables in the box. Claiming it's hard to avoid clamping down on the wrong cable.
I use those, hardest thing I come across is seeing which one I'm working with, the #12 or #14, the marking on tool not very clear or large for my older eyes. AFA being hard to avoid clamping down on the wrong cable, haven't had an issue, just a little due diligence to keeping other cables off and away in a multi gang box. My experience is if the box fill limit is adhered to it hasn't been a problem. I've had more problems of catching the wrong one with an old cable ripper and the reaching in with the diags to trim and accidentally catching another conductor.
My complaint us it doesn't work with 12/3 or 14/3, and haven't seen one that does.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
The Southwire Romex strippers I have work great. The markings are a little hard to see but after you get used to it you don't need the marks. I agree stripping first is the way I like to do it but with plastic boxes it doesn't work that well.

I am glad to see I am not the only one with difficulty

Status
Not open for further replies.