Amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitschamp

Occupation
Electrician
So if you have 2.05 amps on a neutral and 1.99 amps on the hot and when you put your clamp meter around both should they zero out or add up it should zero out right ? Im getting 4.24 when I put my clamp meter on both. There is three led light in this house flashing/ flickering I think some neutrals are crossed the wiring is a mess I’m not sure what the issue is

Hitschamp

Occupation
Electrician
e660f34f86d8d138f5ebd7a28153e6ce.jpg

This house panel is definitely not up to code I would love to talk the home owner into a panel upgrade just for safety reason I when tinto the attic the wiring is a mess

Hitschamp

Occupation
Electrician
It’s the only neutral and hot that have the same amount of amps but when I put my clamp meter on both they add up does this mean the neutral is splice in with neutral from another circuit in a j box somewhere?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
It’s the only neutral and hot that have the same amount of amps but when I put my clamp meter on both they add up does this mean the neutral is splice in with neutral from another circuit in a j box somewhere?
Apparently so. The should zero out

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Be careful that you are clamping the two wires in the correct orientation.

If you put the clamp around the conductors as they come out of a cable, they should cancel.

But if you flip one of the wires as they pass through the clamp, then the currents will _add_.

Jon

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No main breaker just the meter
The seven breakers problem can be fixed by removing the unused one.

I see no MWBCs, so shared neutrals is not an issue, as long as the service is intact.

Flickering LEDs is common. Temporarily add an incandescent to the offenders.

It's likely the LED and not the power. Try bring a flickering LED to the panel itself.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is the flickering happening when they are turned on, or are they flickering on when they are supposed to be off?

Not likely related to your flickering lights issue, but you have two GE breakers in a Siemens / ITE / Murray or Bryant / Eaton panel. Although at one time the Siemens / ITE / Murray and Bryant breakers were allowed to be used in each other's panels, the GE never were. In fact you must break out part of the plastic case to force them to fit, or they don't align correctly, as is the case in this photo for both of the GE breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.