Ampacity Adjustment

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not in the Article 100 sense. Let me make explicit the implicit meaning of 210.19 for you:

210.19:.........not less than the larger of 210.19(A)(1)(a) or (b). (a) Where a branch circuit supplies continuous loads or any combination of continuous and noncontinuous loads, the minimum branch-circuit conductor size shall have an allowable ampacity not less than the noncontinuous load plus 125 percent of the continuous load before application of any adjustment or correction factors (b) The minimum branch-circuit conductor size shall have an allowable ampacity not less than the maximum load to be served after the application of any adjustment or correction factors.

The first bolded text is not spelled out in the NEC, but it is implied by the second bolded text. [This section's text could be improved.]

Cheers, Wayne
The problem I have with this section, and I have submitted PIs to make a change, is that the defined term "ampacity" always includes any required ampacity adjustment or correction. The code should replace "allowable ampacity" with Table 310.16 ampacity or something to that effect.