Amp reading on led lights on a generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Amp reading on led lights on POWER CO 6 AMPS ON 1970 BACK UP GENERATOR 27 AMPS. READING FROM TWO DIFFERENT ANALOG AMP PROBES , NON TRUE RMS .

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
How large an installation? What is the expected draw?

My guess is that the impedance of the different sources changes the waveform of the current drawn by the LEDs, changing the current reported by the meter.

Also possible that the LEDs have a wide constant power range, and low generator voltage is causing high load current.

Jon

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
How large an installation? What is the expected draw?

My guess is that the impedance of the different sources changes the waveform of the current drawn by the LEDs, changing the current reported by the meter.

Also possible that the LEDs have a wide constant power range, and low generator voltage is causing high load current.

Jon
Lower voltage would not increase current draw much. In fact it could lower it.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Lower voltage would not increase current draw much. In fact it could lower it.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

For constant power loads, reducing voltage increases current.

Many (but not all) LED drivers act as constant power loads.

LED drivers are also often capable of operating over a very wide voltage range, such as 110-277V. In this case you might have an abnormal condition such as a 480V system but a generator configured to provide 208V. The system appears to be working because the LEDs compensate for the incorrect voltage, but the current goes way up.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.