Aluminum Service Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Re: Aluminum Service Drop

Opps! :roll: SORRY GUYS the topic for this post "Aluminum Service Drop" should actually read Aluminum Service Entrance! (residential)

bphgravity

AL 30 years ago is not the same stuff that is produced today. Today's AL is a decent option without the issues of past AL problems. If installed properly, if terminated properly, if torqued properly, AL is just as good as CU in most cases.
In the cases of services verses branch circuits, branch circuits have many connections and joints and require devices listed for use with AL conductors. Services have a limited connection point and are generally always listed for AL/CU use. Also, cost and weight is not an issue at branch circuit sizes, but some services can be much less expensive and much easier to install at larger sizes with AL. :)

mjc

Bryan -Thanks for answering.
Our apprentice asked again today and it helped me too. I can tell him about your reply.
Mike :) Detroit , Mich.

apauling

by branch circuits, i hope we are not talking about 12 and 14 (15 and 20 amp) circuits. When the use of 12 and 14 al for branch circuits was stopped, I believe there was good reason beyond the typical assumtions.

The convenience outlets tend to get more abused than the dedicated circuits. I do not think that the use of al for these circuits, however much it has improved, is worth talking about, except as educational fyi.

I wouldn't want to live in a house completely wired in al.

bennie

Esteemed Member

For overhead services, the weight of the triplex has a bearing on the amount of sag between supports. Copper wire would have to be reduced in size to allow for proper clearances.

The service drops are calculated on a kilowatt/span scale, in line with NESC,for sizing the service drop.

Underground services are supplied by conductors as indicated in applicable engineering standards, under the NESC.

The service entrance, when there is a service entrance, is regulated by the NEC.

[ April 23, 2004, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: bennie ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by apauling:
When the use of 12 and 14 al for branch circuits was stopped, I believe there was good reason beyond the typical assumtions.
Paul as far as the NEC is concerned you may still use 12 AWG and 10 AWG aluminum.

310.5, 310.14, 330.104, 334.104, etc.

That said I do not think you could buy 12 AWG and 10 AWG aluminum NM if you wanted to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.