Aluminum conduit question #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick5280

I found a UL mark on a stick of 4" aluminum conduit that had the # 3VA6 on it. I looked in the ul white book, and was not able to find the same. I did find "Rigid Nonferrous Metallic Conduit" (DYWV) which is aluminum conduit.

Anyone know what the #3VA6 stands for? It was right next to the ul mark, so I am assumming it is the Ul mark.

TIA
Rick

rick5280

Re: Aluminum conduit question #2

I was hopeing for some indication if this conduit had corrosion protection already on it, or if I had to install it. The UL white book just says a few generic statements about the protection.

TIA

Rick

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

If it looks like aluminum and smells like aluminum it's aluminum. :D

Corrosion protection would usually be a PVC covering.

hurk27

3VA6 on it.
I'm not sure what the 3V is for but the A=anodized and the 6 should be for a T6 hardness
Anodizing is the way they protect aluminum from corrosion, This is why one should never use sandpaper or steel wool on aluminum. I worked at a aluminum extrusion plant in Sanford, Fl. a while back.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Hurk, I don't think so. I've never seen anodized conduit. When aluminum is anodized a thin hard shiney coating is created. This can be clear, in colors or black. It is also non- conductive so if you really want to confirm if its been anodized get out your ohm meter and touch your probes anywhere on the surface.

As for a T6 alloy, I don't think you would be able to bend it. AL conduit is either dead soft or T3.

In short, I really don't think that label means ANYTHING except to the manufacturer.

pierre

Rick
It is good to see that you are using the UL White Book as well as the NEC, as the two really go hand in hand.

UL usually uses four letters for the designation, so I am not too sure what that particular number is for.

Pierre

renosteinke

That additional mark might be a secret UL code identifying the manufacturer or plant. I think they call it a "file" or "reference" number.

Status
Not open for further replies.