Alternate energy technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Is any one proficient in alternate energy technology? Is it a topic of interest in your state? Future plans?

Feedback welcome

JJ

I have been working on grid tied photo-voltaic systems, I am very interested in it as much as it is a source of revenue.

It's nice working on something a bit different but no one would be installing it if it were not for the rebates.

Karl H

I have been working on grid tied photo-voltaic systems, I am very interested in it as much as it is a source of revenue.

It's nice working on something a bit different but no one would be installing it if it were not for the rebates.
no one would have changed from T-12's to T-8's if it were'nt for rebates.:D

mdshunk

Is any one proficient in alternate energy technology? Is it a topic of interest in your state? Future plans?

Feedback welcome

JJ
I'm going to build a nuclear power plant in my back yard. It's still tied up in the permitting process. I go for the zoning variance hearing next week. I hope none of my neighbors mind.

mdshunk

iwire

Staff member
Nuclear power plants smaller than a garden shed and able to power 20,000 homes will be on sale within five years,

Looks like the power company is going to have to strengthen the grid in my neighborhood.

My 100 amp meter is going to be spinning back pretty fast. :grin:

JJWalecka

" Mini nuclear plants to power 20,000 homes
13m shed-size reactors will be delivered by lorry

Nuclear power plants smaller than a garden shed and able to power 20,000 homes will be on sale within five years, say scientists at Los Alamos, the US government laboratory which developed the first atomic bomb..."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/09/miniature-nuclear-reactors-los-alamos

You with a nuclear shed?. What is the name of you senator, please. I think this may be a question of national security!

:) ;)

JJ

ElectronDance

I sure haven't seen enough to be proficient, but it is an area of intense study for me, both classroom and independant. Here in Arizona, for obvious reasons, photovoltaic is the word on everyones lips. IMO we would all do well to learn this technology, it is the future.

Besoeker

" Mini nuclear plants to power 20,000 homes
13m shed-size reactors will be delivered by lorry

Nuclear power plants smaller than a garden shed and able to power 20,000 homes will be on sale within five years, say scientists at Los Alamos, the US government laboratory which developed the first atomic bomb..."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/09/miniature-nuclear-reactors-los-alamos
'They will cost approximately $25m [?13m] each. For a community with 10,000 households, that is a very affordable $250 per home.'
I hope the designers are better at arithmetic than the newspaper hacks who tout this stuff.

Besoeker

Feedback welcome

JJ
I have a bit of an interest in alternative electrical energy generation.
In fact, I am a subscription memeber of a sustainable energy group and I have done a little bit of work on hydro, wave, biofuel and wind. The original statistical number crunching on the electrical output for this little project was by me.
http://www.reuk.co.uk/Islay-Wave-Power-Station.htm
So alternative energy has a little commercial interest for me. But I'm pragmatic enough to realise that it is some way off competing with traditional sources like fossils.
Output capacity from fossil-fuelled power stations is still growing about 20 times faster than all renewables (hydro excluded) combined.
I don't see that trend reversing any time soon.

Just my take.

nolabama

you get a 50% tax credit for solar here - other than that i know very little - i would like to have a wind mill and one of those nuclear sheds - i belive that a wind farm in lake ponchatrain would be really cool - its a very shallow lake and i believe that it could be done and would also help fishing out

Status
Not open for further replies.