All Weather Box Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

I have noticed that many installers of all weather metal boxes (commonly called "bell boxes") like to drill out their own internal holes instead of using the external mountable brackets that come with the box.

Does this violate the listing of the box and/or sacrifice the integrity of the wetherproof/raintight aspect of the box?

feez

Re: All Weather Box Installation

I squirt a hefty dab of clear silicone at each hole when I mount them. (I'm one of those who doesn't like the external tabs. Too flimsy) Inspectors around here have never had a problem with it.

bill addiss

Bryan,

Some boxes come with dimples on the back that can be punched out for an alternate mounting means.

Bill

bphgravity

Yes, I know what you are talking about. I am looking at a box right now that has those dimples, but they aren't shown on the instruction card that comes with the box. :eek:

luke warmwater

We use the P&S boxes and punch the knockout studs.

The screws for the tabs never seem to hold.

We also silicone the top and sides of all of our outside boxes.

The P&S boxes do not come with the sealant compound and do not state to use any for raintightness.

I remember that the brand that Big Orange carried had the compound...

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

When you mark your holes using a level it comes out cockeyed with the ears,at least on stucco.1 for yhe holes here. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.