All LEDs in House Flicker In Sync - PoCo No Help

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I remember reading this thread back when it started. Re-reading I am noticing something interesting in the original current traces.

In most homes, large loads are 240V. These are things like the dryer, central AC, electric heat, etc.

When a large load switches on, you should see the current jump on both supply legs at exactly the same time. So there should be some significant correlation on the current on the two service legs.

But if you look at the traces, you will see 30-40A jumps on one leg that don't match the other. In fact the two traces look nothing alike.

So I question if these traces are interpreted correctly.

-Jon
A dryer is an example with different line currents. Everything is fed via L1-N except the heater element.

gar

Occupation
EE
230628-1412 EDT

zbang:

If I have two signals of exactly the same frequency, and one of those is shifted 171 degrees from the other, then how do you want to describe their relationship?

Gar- Just as you did; I wouldn't call them "two phase" (usually implying a power circuit with a 90 deg shift between pairs). In the same boat, calling something "three phase" implies to most of us three leads and a 120 deg shift.

(Sorry for bringing this up, back to the flickering.)

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
A dryer is an example with different line currents. Everything is fed via L1-N except the heater element.

True, but the heater element is the dominant load. When the dryer is running I'd expect a steady 1-2 amps for the motor on one leg, combined with 20-25 amps modulating in a balanced fashion on both legs.